Overclocking

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
cheers_rules

Overclocking

Post by cheers_rules »

Hello:

I'm new to overclocking but want to experiment, so I recently bought a 486 mobo with an AMD 5x86-133 cpu. This particular board has ISA/PCI/VLB combo, and I've heard that there can be big problems with the combo boards, especially at higher speeds. So, I'm wondering if there's a limit to how fast this system can run? Thanks for the help in advanced!!! :)
Interon

Post by Interon »

486 boards have a max base multiplier of 33 in most cases.

So it's 33, 66, 100, or 133 MHz.

Or some mobos support 40 MHz bus

40, 80, 120, or 160 MHz

AFAIK, the maximum possible speed is 160 MHz, but I don't know if your particular mobo model supports it.

I had a 486 mobo, and it only supported 25 and 33 MHz buses IIRC.

Post by Guest »

Interon wrote:486 boards have a max base multiplier of 33 in most cases.

So it's 33, 66, 100, or 133 MHz.

Or some mobos support 40 MHz bus

40, 80, 120, or 160 MHz

AFAIK, the maximum possible speed is 160 MHz, but I don't know if your particular mobo model supports it.

I had a 486 mobo, and it only supported 25 and 33 MHz buses IIRC.
This one goes up to 50. It has settings for 20/33/40/50. I was just wondering what the maximum stable speed was since it had both VLB and PCI, and I had heard that was a bad combination...
Interon

Post by Interon »

The 50 is for the 486DX/50. I don't think that one multiplies. If it does, then the max is 200 (but I doubt it).

As for VLB, I think it's just a matter of leaving the VLB slot empty if you change the speed. AFAIK, individual VLB cards are geared toward an exact speed which must be the same as the processor, if the slot is empty it shouldn't matter.