Kernel 2.6.8 is out

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
diri
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Kernel 2.6.8 is out

Post by diri »

grab it while its hot.
CloudCobain
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CloudCobain »

Um, please explain. What's Kernel (I've seen it in a few error messages I think o_o) and what's so special about this new version?

*feels t3h dumb*
Lack of iron and/or sleeping.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

It's a Linux geek thing, whenever the new kernel comes out they all have to rush out and grab it ;) Hey I prolly would if I ran Linux ... but really WinXP works well enuff for me, so I don't. (Am I a Micro$oft whore? You decide, and keep it to yourself!)

The Linux kernel is basically the main guts of the OS ... it handles all the low level stuff, whereas the window managers like KDE or GNOME try to make it <strike>copy Windows</strike> look nice. :)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
diri
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by diri »

what emmzee said. uh, and the nice thing about 2.6.8 is that its the most recent even numbered kernel so far. what that means is, its the most stable and bleeding-edge kernel so far. good shtuff. compiling it right now. going smooooth. B-)
diri
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by diri »

done. had some trouble with the ati-drivers, but nothing too hard. works just smooth now. :)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

lol, Emmzee, that post was beautiful. And all too true unforetunatly. Picture DnD fans at a cosplay DnD event, where they give away 100 free DnD related items... now replace DnD fans with Linux Geeks, and 100 free DnD items with the Linux kernal, and you'll have the situation. Note that there is an unlimited number of downloads on the kernal... no need to rush.

-Richard-