Problems with Tyrian + Jazz Jackrabbit under DOS

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
vip3234

Problems with Tyrian + Jazz Jackrabbit under DOS

Post by vip3234 »

Hi. I have installed MS-DOS 7.1 on an extra partition in order to get all my favourite Dos games working again. I fixed the 200 error on Jazz with TPpatch and it runs fine. But if I try to set up my soundcard, which seems to be installed correctly, Jazz shows the blue standard background of the game and nothing more. The system halted and i have to restart my machine. Without sound Jazz runs perfectly. An similar problem occurs at tyrian. I also fixed the 200error with tppatch. The first problem here is, that the audiosetup.exe was patchable and the game.exe not. So I get the 200 error while starting the game again even if i us moslo. In Tyrians audiosetup you are able to test you settings, but if I select any of the cards in the list, an error of the programm itselfe occurs and says that the my soundcard is not found. I know a very confusing problem.
My soundcard is an Xwave7000. The Driver cd, which came togehter with the card, contains already a DOS soundriver, so I thougt it should work and the drivers setup says so,too

Thx
VIP

Post by Guest »

hmm, MS-Dos 7.1... a DOS stand alone from win 95? Afaik, the last DOS-only OS was 6.x.
Anyways, does the soundcard driver CD have any utils for setting base I/O, IRQ and such? If so, try using IRQ 5 or 7 , base I/O 0x220h, DMA 1 and synth base I/O 0x330h.
Then in autoexec.bat
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1

Then run the install or setup for your games and specify the same configuration.
vip3234

Post by vip3234 »

I have tried that, yet. Yes, it's DOS 7.1 ! It's the newest Version (I think of 99') Really nice. It supports long filenames, FAT32 etc. And If you want you can install it together with every Windows Version on 1 partionen.

Thx
VIP
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Have you downloaded the respective patches? They allowed me to run Tyrian without sound normally... don't know about Jazz Jackrabbit.
See: http://www.epicgames.com/patches/ for more info. (Don't worry, it's a page run by Epic Games and is totally legal)
vip3234

Post by vip3234 »

Thank you very much. But the patch did not solve the problem. Tyrian aborts with an 200 error.
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Tyrian runs too fast on some computers. Use TPPatch, or find Tyrian2000.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Hum... Tyrian and Tyrian2000 don't work on my computer either. Error 200. MoSlo and DosBOX didn't get it to work either.
vip3234

Post by vip3234 »

I cannot use tppatch, because it does not work with the tyrian. OK, Tyrian 2000 + VDM Sound + WINXP runs. But that's not the thing I want. Tyrian should run under DOS and not under WIN XP. Well, I played it yesterday on my old computer. [200Mhz MMX, 64MB EDO, 840MB HHD, WIN98] On that computer Tyrian works in the Win 98 DOS box without any fixing by tppatch or moslo etc. But i want it to work on my new Computer.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

In thy case , it's impossible. Be happy that it works in P200 :)
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Just out of curiousity, why don't you want Tyrian 2000? It has all the features of the original, but with new ones, special modes, multiplayer, extra campaigns and missions, and windows support added? (Note, I never did get the original Tyrian to work on my present computer-it may be that your computer is just plain too incompatible for it)
vip3234

Post by vip3234 »

It's not only because of Tyrian. I want to run other old dos games like Jazz Jackrabbit as well.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

You've tried VDMSound, right?
vip3234

Post by vip3234 »

Yes, I have tried. But VDM Sound is for Windows, are I am right ? I only have DOS. I see, I will have to use my old computer.

Post by Guest »

No, apparently tppatch works with Jazz (check other Jazz thread for info...) and if you get the 200 RT error, then tppatch WILL work. You just need to patch the right file which often, but not always is the file you run, and sometimes you even have to patch multiple files.
As an example, Ironseed is started by executing IS.EXE and then you'll get the RT 200 error. Can't patch IS.EXE. However, there are 3 more executables, namely MAIN.EXE, CREWGEN.EXE and INTRO.EXE and once you've applied tppatch to those 3 files, you can launch the game normally with IS.EXE.
vip3234

Post by vip3234 »

I did not say that Jazz was not patchable. The problem only apears with Tyrian. Jazz runs quite well, but without sound. Can anyone show me an standard DOS Soundcarddriver, because the DOS driver which came together with my soundcard is not recogniced by Jazz Soundsetup ( not VDM-Sound)
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

There isn't any. Make contact to card manufacturer and ask a patch. Card can be too new to Jazz, though.
banditboy

slow? why?

Post by banditboy »

I am currently running tyrian shareware on two computers. One, my AMD k-6 2, with 500 megahertz (windows xp) runs tyrian veeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow. two, my laptop, pentium I 166 with mmx win 98 runs it fast as ever. I have both speeds set to turbo. Why the heck is my faster computer running it slower? Any suggestions for me?

Thnx for help
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Incompatible code. Maybe XP doesn't like interruptions.
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

XP uses the HAL, which slows everything down but gives extra stability.
banditboy

Post by banditboy »

Sorry forgot to bookmark page

Thanx for help

Got any suggestions on improving performance under xp?