Possibly an RPG game, DOS

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Possibly an RPG game, DOS

Post by Aldeb »

Old game which might have been an RPG, played on a 486 running DOS at around 1997 or 98

Game was 2.5 (terrain was 3D, as in Doom or any Build engine game, with 2D sprites for trees, rocks). It had lots of open areas - forests, mountains, valleys, etc - to roam around.

I believe I remember the terrain being pretty organic, so it might have used voxel-based graphics, like in Delta Force games. It had a day-night cycle that was pretty spectacular.

I didn't understand the purpose of the game. you just roamed around endlessly in 1st person, with nothing to do or see, except mountains and trees and such, on an open landscape. i'd like to try it again

I can't remember much about the interface. Might have been a dungeon crawler. or not
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Can't make much out of your post ....... dunno,

Ahwel, first idea that pops up:
Deus or Robinson....
http://www.mobygames.com/game/deus
http://www.mobygames.com/game/robinsons-requiem
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

Looks interesting, but it's not it. The game I mentioned was more low tech, and used only 2D sprites for objects. Monsters and weapons I don't remember; couldn't figure out the game that well. It was pixelated as well, so it probably ran at 320x240. With lots of 2D trees and 3D valleys and such.

What I remember clearly is the day night cycle, which blew my mind away at the time

but thanks for your post
Certified 16-bit Troll
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Could it be The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall? It has both 3D terrain and sprites for trees and other objects (also huge wilderness with nothing in particular to do).
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

It could be. I'll play it and try it out, although I clearly remember starting outdoors. With no monsters, weapons or anything clearly obvious to do. With lots of open ended forests and mountains that went on forever. But it might be daggerfall yes.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Aldeb wrote:It could be. I'll play it and try it out, although I clearly remember starting outdoors.
The covermount "Betony" demo starts outdoors, although you're in front of a city and there's lots of tutorial text.

IIRC there's some kind of environmentalist game that runs on the Pie in the Sky engine, where you play as a wolf (?) in the wilderness and need to survive. Not sure though.

[Edit] The game's title is Gaia.