90s ocean-based education game that is driving me nuts

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Polyurejane

Post by Polyurejane »

I played some game in elementary school (mid 90s) that involved exploring an ocean that was divided into a grid-like pattern (top view). You could "dive" underwater and look for treasure or dolphins or something, but if you went underwater to the wrong square, this scary shark picture would pop up and say you got eaten.

I remember the graphics as being about comparable to cross-country USA or something.

If anyone has any idea what this might be called, please let me know! I kinda want to go back and see if the shark thing is actually scary :rolleyes:
tw123

me too

Post by tw123 »

I too am looking for this game's name.
Somebody HELLLLP
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Try looking through this list, if diving was a central part of the game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/gam ... snorkeling
tw123

thanks

Post by tw123 »

I will start looking through this list thank you so much!
tw123

No luck

Post by tw123 »

I didn't find it in the list. It was a point and click adventure style dive game. The idea of it was to get a photo of something the "boss" wanted. There were dangers to avoid like sharks mentioned above, and jellyfish schools and storms. I played it sometime in the 90s on a old MAC.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Hmm...ok, I'm not familiar with many Macintosh games, but there might be something here:

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/m ... nture-2nd/

Not all games are in moby's database though, so don't give up if you can't find it there.
tw123

No luck

Post by tw123 »

Thank you for your help. I still couldn't find it just searching naval games from 1980 to 2000 and clicking on any of them that sounded right.

Oh well I will just have to forget about this before it drives me insane :shifty:
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Perhaps look at a site called 'macintosh garden', they are more apple-centric.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

Yeah, not all games made it on more then one system. You may try...
http://www.virtualapple.org/
Creativity is at its best when there's limitations.
Feltip

Post by Feltip »

I think the game in question is "Eco-Adventures in the Oceans".

I found it on the website called Macintosh Repository.

On that webpage for that game, there's a screenshot of some guy falling off into the sea. Then, there are buttons to click on for taking a picture, a rod, a knife, and others. I think this is the game that you've been looking for.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Chances are slim that the original topic starter will confirm your suggestion, but thanks anyway!
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

This is one of two games the developer 'Chariot Software' made in the 'Eco Adventures' series, both were available in DOS & Mac (68k) versions, in 1991-93. They only sold these to schools what I gather (probably only in the US) so the likelyhood of finding a legit copy for sale is also slim, if it is indeed the one the OP is after.

edit: I did find a review (Nov 92) and an advert (Jan 94) for both games in MacWorld so they were sold to the public as well, through the MacWarehouse catalogue.

(I've submitted entries for these games at MobyGames, but it takes a while to process.)

Mobygames submission is now approved: https://www.mobygames.com/game/eco-adve ... the-oceans
Last edited by Rwolf on Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Rwolf wrote: (I've submitted entries for these games at MobyGames, but it takes a while to process.)
Thanks!