hey can someone give me some info please?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
ashb7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

hey can someone give me some info please?

Post by ashb7 »

hey im a new member and i just want to know if i have to download any emulators or stuff before i download the games?
I heard of a dude who snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog WOOOOH!!!!!!!!!
Pancake
Expert
Expert

Post by Pancake »

You don't really have to use an emulator if you're using a Windows machine that's pre-Vista, though you probably want to give DOSBox a shot. Especially if you are using a Vista machine or something like Mac or Linux.
ashb7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ashb7 »

im on xp, does the dosbox thing come with like an instruction file?
you know to tell me how to install and run the games on it?
I heard of a dude who snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog WOOOOH!!!!!!!!!
Pancake
Expert
Expert

Post by Pancake »

Sure. First, download this file, then run it. Go through the installation, then run the program.

Say your games directory was C:\GAMES. You'll have to do the following before you can run anything from that directory:

Code: Select all

mount C&#58; C&#58;\GAMES <enter>
C&#58; <enter>
Now that you've mounted the directory, you can run programs within that directory, but using the commands as if C:\GAMES was C:. IE: if you wanted to change the directory to C:\GAMES\DOS (as it is in the real drive), type in "cd C:\DOS". You could mount C: as C:\ in the first place, though DOSBox doesn't recommend it. Anyway, after you've changed directories you can run the program; if the game were called "GAME.EXE", then you can simply type in "GAME.EXE" after you are in the same directory as the game. Since the default speed is 3000 or something, you'd probably want to increase it by pressing CTRL+F12. Be sure not to increase the speed too much as it will slow down your machine altogether and will actually slow down the emulator itself. You can edit its configuration (such as default speed, for example) by opening dosbox.conf in Notepad which is found in the same folder of which you installed DOSBox in the first place.

Oh, and that instruction file in that README.TXT thing in the same folder.

And sorry if my wording poor/vague. It's late at night and I'm not really the best at giving tutorials.

Nonetheless, have fun. ^_^
ashb7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ashb7 »

thanks brother, im gonna take a screen shot of that text for future reference.
you have msn in case i need more help?
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

ashb7 wrote:thanks brother, im gonna take a screen shot of that text for future reference.
you have msn in case i need more help?
His MSN address can be viewed by clicking the little "msnm" button below any of his posts. :)
ashb7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ashb7 »

thanks my brother, yeah like i said im new to this site and saw some really cool old games and thought hey what the hell i got plenty of spare time lol
Pancake
Expert
Expert

Post by Pancake »

ashb7 wrote:you have msn in case i need more help?
Yes, feel free to add me and everything. :)
ashb7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ashb7 »

well i got the dosbox thing downloaded but still im havin trouble tryin to mount the drives and play games lol
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You know , or obviously you don't know, there is a specific section for problems:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/forum-3.html

First step: read the dosbox readme file that you have in your dosbox startmenu item.

Second step: read the stickies in http://www.dosgames.com/forum/forum-3.html.

Third step: post your problems there: http://www.dosgames.com/forum/forum-3.html ,
and be a bit more specific about your problems.
ashb7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ashb7 »

its ok i got it sorted now, i just wasnt used to using the command prompt but i think i got the hang of it now.
thanks to all of you for your help