windows 95

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

windows 95

Post by abyss »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITott75L4o
How do i enter safe mode. I am thinking about searching for that windows 95 cd. Windows 95 can run on a 2 ghz computer so it should run on a 500 mhz computer. I might not need safe mode. Does anyone know if i will need safe mode if i try to run windows 95 with 500 mhz and 256 mb ram and an old video card that is good for dos and early windows games. I remember having 300 mhz and 256 mb ram and a video card that was good for dos games and early windows games.

With my low system specs i think it may run without errors and run better than it would on virtual pc. I also have a good moniter for dos games. LCD is not good for dos games.

I don't have too much memory. I have 10 gb for c and 48 for d and a cd drive which is on my e and that is total memory.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Hit F5 at boot up ( hammer on it ).
You will get a doslike textmode screen with several boot possibilities, one of them is SAFE MODE.

BUT:
SAFE MODE is totally inadequate to run most programs in it, it is a very basic windows modus, only good to do system maintenance (deep defrag-chkdsk-....) or using repair tools, or using A-virus to delete some files that are infected and in use in the normal windows boot.
In SAFE MODE the sound and graphical drivers are NOT loaded, also you usually can't connect to internet ( no drivers !!!).
If I'm not mistaken you can only use SAFE MODE in 640x480x16.

Most ( if not all) games will not run in SAFE MODE, neither the common programs.

I said it before and gonna repeat it once again:
GET W98 and preferably W98SE, much better than W95 ever was.
AND BETTER DOS SUPPORT, really, W98 has much better dos support than W95.
Really.
MiniMax
Expert
Expert

Post by MiniMax »

I agree with dosraider, abyss. a 500 MHz PC with 256 MB of RAM sounds perfect for Windows98.

My first Windows PC was an 300 MHz with 128 MB of RAM and an S3 Virge graphics card (don't remember what kind of sound card I had, some cheap Soundblaster compatible thing). And a 4 GB harddisk :) Win98 ran perfect on that little sucker.
DOSBox ReadMe | DOSBox Wiki | DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

I have had nothing but bad luck on windows 98. Dos programs that would run on a windows 95 would not run on a 98. I just searched around and my settings are good for windows 95. I had 11 gb on the windows 95. 300 mhz and a very good video card and a very good sound card and 256 mbram. That was very good for a windows 95.

To run windows 95-me i cannot have over 512 mb ram or 512sdram.
I can't have over 1000 mhz. I have 500 mhz and 2566 mb ram. 300 mhz and 256 mb ram and 11 gb worked great on the old windows 95. Even though i had to UN install things a lot. Back then 300 mb's was a lot.

Does anyone know how to get into msdos mode on a late windows 95. I think i may have that cd somewhere.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

eh... I'm not going to get into a "Get '98!" monologue here, so I'll just answer your question:

To restart in MS-DOS mode: start windows, shut down -->Restart in MS-DOS mode <ok>

Or... just get into that menu as dosraider said(hammer on the F5 when the pc boots) and choose MS-DOS mode!
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Something keeps bothering me here, when you used MSDOS mode restart, didn't you have to input EXIT at the dos prompt to return to win95 so you could shut properly down ?

Now, yeah , it's a long time I don't use that 95sucker anymore.
Just was wondering about it.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Well, I think that if you would used EXIT it would have started win again... but if you would reboot the whole "Computer was not shut down properly" process didn't appear...

P.S.... 1K posts? You're getting there... :rolleyes:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Final Chance
Expert
Expert

Post by Final Chance »

dosraider wrote:Something keeps bothering me here, when you used MSDOS mode restart, didn't you have to input EXIT at the dos prompt to return to win95 so you could shut properly down ?

Now, yeah , it's a long time I don't use that 95sucker anymore.
Just was wondering about it.
No you don't need to. Just turn off the computer if you shut down to MS-DOS mode.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Or was it when you clicked on the dosprompt icon and go into fullscreen then ?
Somehow I seems to remember a dos screen with a popup in text that said how to go back to windows in W95.
Larry_thingy wrote:P.S.... 1K posts? You're getting there...
Look who's talking
:huh:

[EDIT]
Abyss wrote:I have had nothing but bad luck on windows 98. Dos programs that would run on a windows 95 would not run on a 98.
Ever tried to create a SHORTCUT to the program ? Then tried to RIGHTCLICK on that shortcut and set properly the params for that program ? Don't think so, or you would be amazed how better W98 handles dosprogs than W95.
Final Chance
Expert
Expert

Post by Final Chance »

Yeah, it's when you click MS-DOS Prompt and go into fullscreen. Then you need to type EXIT and press enter, or you could just press ALT-ENTER to get out of fullscreen, then click the X to close the window, and click Yes to the thing that says something like "Windows can't quit the program automatically...".