Oldie discovers the joys of old dos gaming!

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
tarantella

Oldie discovers the joys of old dos gaming!

Post by tarantella »

I've been into games since the dawn of time - ok - 1979 to be exact, and I've used many machines between then and now but in 93, I saw lucasarts X Wing in action and instantly became a pc convert, I bought a 386sx setup (£700) and have never looked back.

Today, the pc market is awash with fps's which look amazing but little in the way of space or flight sims (my favourite genres), the last good space sim to be released was the superb freespace series which I still play today but I really miss the lucasarts space sims, tie fighter in particular.
However, having accidentally come across DosBox, I find that I can now play these titles on my w2k pro powered rig - with sound - and I love it!

I'm currently running demos of the titles at the moment but would love to pick up the full version of all the lucasarts sims, duke nukem 3d, and a couple of older titles - does anyone know where old games can be bought or downloaded?
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

www.3drealms.com

They are one of the beat places to get old games. They were the makers of Commander Keen, Duke3D, Death Rally, Quake etc and have an online store.

The Freeware sites (such as dosgames.com) are a good place to find older shareware games: though you won't get many full version games.

Otherwise, try EBay: though I wouldn't count on anything to come up.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

www.the-underdogs.info/ has the full version download of a lot of "abandonware" games (games that are no longer supported by the companies that made them), and links showing where you can buy the games that are still being sold. Most of their links are to <a href=http://www.chipsbits.com/>Chips and Bits</a>, which is an amazing online store.
Vangar
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Vangar »

Dosser wrote:Quake etc and have an online store.
Quake was made by ID?
tarantella

Post by tarantella »

Thanks for the replies people, I did a bit of searching on ebay and have managed to get a couple of titles, the main prize being an unopened copy of tie fighter (cd) - brilliant!
Dosser, the link you provided proved an excellent source of old titles so, much appreciated. :thumbsup:
franpa
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by franpa »

yes vangar.
Intel Core2 DUO e6750 @ 2.66GHZ
Asus P5KC Mother Board
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
2 Gigabytes DDR2 800 RAM Dual Channel
500 Gigabytes SATA2 Hard Disk
Creative X-FI Extreme Music
BFG Geforce 8800gt 512mb PCI-E (OC1)