doom sound problems

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.

doom sound problems

Post by Guest »

ok i just downloaded doom and on setup i had to pick general midi for the music to work but that option is not there for sound fx. now i chose soundblaster and that works but it is patchy and slows down the music.i dont know what changing all the ports and everything does after you choose soundblaster so i cant tune it too what i have cuz i dont know.all i know is im using xp.any help would be appreciated thanks
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

There a several "doom" on internet.You don't tell us what version you have.Their is the original 'dos' doom,but also a win95 version.

I supose you talking about the original dos doom cause the win95 version is not giving problems on XP, you only have to setup the compability.

Now for the 'dos' version:
On my XP doom is running smoothly without the music directly under XP.
When i allow music indeed the things aren't as swell anymore.
But:
If you have a fast enough system (you don't give ANY info on your sys specs!!! :Angry: ) you can run doom perfectly on dosbox.(on my system it is running fine on dosbox)
Start dosbox up and mount your doom folder as c drive, (the first doom want to save on c: )
Run the doomsetup and choose for music general midi port 330
For FX choose soundblaster irq7 / adress 220 / dma1 / 4 channels.
choose save settings and run doom.
If your pc is fast enough (cpu power ! ) and you don't run a shipload of crap on the background, the music (very nice ) and the FX sound (WAW) should run perfectly.
Another tip: if the game is to dark use <F10> to adjust the gamma.

If you still have problems PLEASE give some more info on your system.
And /or the version of doom you're playing.

:)
And if you don't have problems anymore, let us also know it.
:bday:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
adam100

Post by adam100 »

I suggest that you use VDMS - runs most dos games perfectly, with sound and smoothly.

Adam
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Not DOOM, though. For DOOM it's best to use either DOOM95, or a source port, like PrBOOM, ZDOOM or JDOOM.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

My favorite is Jdoom .Very nice work they did.
http://www.doomsdayhq.com
A 'must' for the doom fans!
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Annorax

Post by Annorax »

Jdoom is great. My 2nd favorite remake is Zdoom.

You probably want to give one of these a try instead of using the original. All you need are thw WAD files.