how do i make my dos games website popular?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
kenny
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

how do i make my dos games website popular?

Post by kenny »

is there somekind of secret trick? i have a dos games site and i have 17 visitors per day... but my web is like a pass through.... what do u suggest me to do? i cant afford promoting it for money.... :blah:
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by nastypoisonspikes »

Start off by never ever spamming this site. Not that you did, because you didn't include you link.

Put a link in your sig.

Make good meta tags.

Now someone offer some helpful advice...
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Dosgames.com has a user website section on the links page so we could link to you...
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

[Theory] Ageing:

go to www.addme.com. Follow instructions. Wait for a year after all your content is up. By then, links would have been added to search engines and ur site will have more hits. Then just update![/Theory]
kenny
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by kenny »

ok tnx i will
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

you could partner with another site. Like mine when its finished
kenny
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by kenny »

the problem is that my site is like Dosgamesarchive.com (95% of the design is the same).... the problem is that every time i try to create something unique it already exists... and thats why i did the page after dosgamesarchive.com

if my site wasn't like dosgamesarchive i would join dos games ring
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

It would be hard toget a lot of traffic. Unless you have different games to offer than dosgames.com/dosgamesarchive.com or at least offer it in a different, better format, noone would prefer your site to others. You could offer lots of screenshots and a good description of your site.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Hmmm, some of the descriptions on Kenny's site seem rather familiar ... it's almost like I wrote them and he just cut and pasted them into his own site. :Angry: Kenny, if you're reading this, if you're going to blatantly copy my work from my site, the least you could do is add a link back to me. :suspicious:
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

it doesnt look like dosgames.com at all.
Tweaked700

Basics

Post by Tweaked700 »

Mainly content is what people are after. There is an old Colecovision & Coleco Adam ROM's website at theoldcomputer. Take a look at their site. Nothing too flashy just links to the games and ways to make them work on a computer. Trust me, no one gives two flips about the cool java or Flash or dare I say, if you have a forum on your website. When I hear that an old DOS game I have been looking for since I was 20 years old is at a site, blamo! I DO NOT want to spend 20 minutes figuring out where the Frak the game is ON the web site. Frankly, keep it simple. Place images that Identify what your site is all about and keep it like that. This is no kiss up but this place is really all the DOS forum We need. Think of it this way. This place is a directory for help, suggestions, and knowledge with access to several places that actually provide the resource. If you start creating other “directories,” someone, like me, will get confused.

You want a good DOS site? Fill it with Config.sys and Autoexec.bat settings for any DOS came you can get. One of the biggest problems with playing those DOS games is getting them to work. Place links in an idiot proof setting that where ever you see the fracken DOS game, at least provide a link to where they can download it. How my keyboard suffered my wrath when the name for a game I have been searching for, for months is RIGHT there and not a blasted link to be found. Well I can’t think of much more to go on my brain hurts.

Tweaked700
DOS Machine Setup
CPU: Pentium 200 (non mmx)
Memory: 64 megs of RAM (100 nanosecond DIMMS)
Sound: Original (like 1992) Sound Blaster 16 ^I will NEVER Throw this baby away!
Video Card: Diamond Stealth Viper 16 megs
Video Monitor: (1993) Compaq SVGA (They made good monitors back then)
Hard Drive: FAT 16 10 GB Hard Drive
Partition: C:\ 2 GB D:\….I forgot.
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

In this game, you play a worm that's loaded up with some heafty ammunition! Your job: kill your opponent worm (CPU or 2nd player) as quickly as possible. This game features excellent control, great graphics, and SB sound effects. It's very polished, and plays well. Definitely one to try!
Familiar?
Last edited by Thunderdog on Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

no
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

*sigh* look in the "Action" section here.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

If you enjoy Roguelike games, you'll want to try this one. (Its full name is "Ancient Domains of Mystery".) It features primitive ANSI graphics (like most Roguelikes) but it is very indepth, even more so than Nethack. The game takes place not only in dungeons, but on the overworld and in towns as well. It is constantly being updated, so you may want to visit the ADOM homepage to check for new versions.

This is the exact same description found on Dosgames.com. Also, if you look closely at the screenshot, the character name is "Emmzee." :suspicious:

Now Kazer0, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I know, and it's cool that Kenny is designing his site to look a lot like Emmzee's (Dosgames.com) and Jorrit's (Dosgamesarchive.com) but don't you think that stealing things they have written and even stealing pictures is going a bit far?
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

It's legal till somone notices. :shifty:

Then you take it off. :)
Webmaster- <a href="http://www.dosgames.com/~bobo">Bobo's DOSGames</a>
^ Biggest Dos 3D Shooters site in the World! :)
Total Games = <b>201</b>
Over <b>100900</b> Downloads since 2004
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

there is ways that it should be acceptable. Such as screenshots. To really piss stealers off, put your address in the pic. I personally have no choce on my site but to take it from others. The jokes do not belong to any onbe person, and the images I doubt someone would mind if i had. The same applys to him. If he were to only take stuff that no one would mind if it were taken, whats wrong? I aggree however, taht he should have asked emmzee first to take the stuff, since that is the reasopn people go there.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

You know, Kenny, if ya would want, I could write a description for the games you want on your site. I could probably even write it if I didn't read the game, just by reading other descriptions. I'm pretty good at re-interpreting paragraphs. You could call 'em your own if ya want, I wouldn't care.
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

I could help, too.

I've written two-page reports, from just one page of information and such. I once wrote some "Out-of-class" research for social studies that just re-iterated the information that he gave us in class so much that he thought it was new.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

i do that. I call it regurgitating. My history teacher did that too. Teh same note over and over for 4 months.