Puzzle game - Pearl & Sea Star - Game Power Vol. 2

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
chickencurries

Post by chickencurries »

Hello, I'm new to this so I'll try my best to describe the game as good as I can.

I'm looking for a puzzle game, whereby you are a sea star and have to bring a pearl to the end. Each level the road is harder. It has like an interface like Boulder Dash, that when you walk: a block wil disapear so the pearl can move with you. It has some gravity with it.

What platform did you play this game on (DOS, Windows, Mac, etc.)?
I played it on Windows, I think a DOS game. The game is included in a CD with 1000 other games. The CD is called Game Power Volume 2 from Hepp Computer (Germany)
What year(s) did you play this game in?
I think it was somewhere between 1998 - 2002
What was the genre of the game? (for a quick reference, take a look at the genre list at MobyGames)
It was a puzzle game, you have to solve each level.
Were the graphics 2D or 3D?
Graphics was in 3D. Similar like Xeno Ball
What was the plot (if any) and the setting of the game?
You need to bring the pearl to an exit. The pearl was on the left side of the screen and the exit on the right.
What was the perspective of the game (first-person, third person, bird's eye view etc.)?
The perspective was birds eye view, just like Boulder Dash. You see the whole map.
If there was a main character (or characters), was he/she/it visible?What did the (main) character(s) look like?
The main character was a sea star.
What did the monsters (if any) look like?
They were rocks.
What were the objectives in the game? Did you have to fight, collect resources, find weapons, solve puzzles?
You had to free the road for the pearl to get to the exit. When you as a sea star moved, the block disapeared so it will create a path for the pearl.
Did the game time flow realistically, or did the player have to act on a turn-based basis?
It flow realistically. When you move, the sea star moved.

Finally, if you can remember some release related information (for example, the publisher's or the developer's logo) also please provide this information.
So the game was part of an CD called: Game Power, Volume 2. Bij Hepp-Computer. Germany. I have the CD, but I lost the catalog and so the name of the game. This CD includes games like: Lemmings 3D, Earthworm Jim, PC Rally, Mahjong, Pinball 95, Charly the Clown, Super Mario, Comix Zone. PBA Bowling, etc.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

The closest I found is this magazine CD : https://www.mobygames.com/game/79086/op ... wer-vol-2/

I doubt it is what you search for, because it seems to have other games than what you list.

The entry I found lists 51 games, but all games are not described in detail, so one has to use a menu on the disc.
I guess the easiest would be to use the CD menu and select one after the other and look at the info panel.

Does your CD not have a similar menu selection?
It seems a bit odd for a pc hardware distributor (if they were the ones I found) to make game compilations like this, with commercial games.

I did find the earlier volume one from the same company:
Looking at Volume One of the set you refer to, it contains shareware programs only.
https://archive.org/details/USABESTSELL ... d_scan.jpg

Something similar, as far as I understand: 'Digging Jim', with a protagonist that *may* look a bit like a starfish, he is collecting diamonds (not pearls) while digging through the screens. https://www.mobygames.com/game/51703/di ... s/windows/

If the gameplay is similar, maybe look at other boulder dash variants: https://www.mobygames.com/group/439/bou ... -variants/
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

chickencurries wrote: I have the CD, but I lost the catalog and so the name of the game
Are you absolutely certain that there is no readme file included on the CD so you could learn the title? Does the game not show the title when it starts up? (is the CD still readable, that is?)