PC Racing Game - circa 2000 [Road Wars]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
HurtMePlentyM8

Post by HurtMePlentyM8 »

Hiya folks,

I know this is a bit after the days of DOS but I was hoping someone could help identify a game I'm trying to remember.

As far as I know it was a PC only game released around about the 2000s so would have been running on Windows 90/2000/ME/XP. I distinctly remember it having chunky 3D car models with slightly slippery handling and weapons. I am sure there were tracks where you drove through towns or urban areas, maybe the interior of a shopping mall at one point with obstacles but my memory is hazy? I also remember it having a career mode where you could buy weapons for your car and possibly upgrade the parts. I think you also had characters with personalities for the races. The weapons were definitely a big part of the game with stuff like machine guns, oil slicks and mines.

At first I was convinced it was NICE 2 (aka Breakneck) but going back and playing this it seems the focus on weapons isn't anywhere near as pronounced as I remember. The cars also were not affiliated to sponsors but had their own unique paint jobs from what I remember. You had difference styles like 4x4s, tuners, muscle cars etc.

Maybe my mind is muddled and it really is just NICE 2 I'm thinking about but honestly feel there is something I'm missing. Any help would be much appreciated.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PC Racing Game - circa 2000

Post by Rwolf »

HurtMePlentyM8

Post by HurtMePlentyM8 »

Rwolf wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:08 pm You could look through this list: https://www.mobygames.com/group/9635/ge ... le-combat/
Thank you so much! I didn't even know about MobyGames so apologies if it's in a sticky or pinned thread on here. I probably should have checked that first. :)

I had a look and the game I was thinking of is called Road Wars. Great to know I'm not going mad. :laugh:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/7038/road-wars/
JamieRobles

Post by JamieRobles »

I came across your post about trying to remember a PC racing game from around the 2000s, and it sounds like a fun challenge! It's always exciting to reminisce about games we enjoyed in the past.
JamieRobles

Post by JamieRobles »

JamieRobles wrote: I came across your post about trying to remember a PC racing game from around the 2000s, and it sounds like a fun challenge! It's always exciting to reminisce about games we enjoyed in the past.
By the way, if you're into gaming and looking for new adventures, have you ever tried 7 Days To Die? It's a thrilling survival game set in a post-apocalyptic world, where you have to scavenge, build, and fight off zombies. If you're interested, you can find dedicated servers and connect with fellow gamers at <snipped>.

Regarding the racing game you're trying to remember, it's fascinating how memories can sometimes be a bit muddled. The features you described, like chunky 3D car models, slippery handling, weapons, and a career mode with car upgrades, remind me of a few racing games from that era.