[Puzzle RPG][1990s?] Tower of the Mage (or similar name) [Tower of the Sorcerer]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Burnthorn

[Puzzle RPG][1990s?] Tower of the Mage (or similar name) [Tower of the Sorcerer]

Post by Burnthorn »

Hello!

I'm trying to find a game that I used to play on a pc on late 90s (dunno when it was actually made). It was a puzzle-rpg game, and I think the name was something like "tower of the mage/magician" or something similar, but couldn't find anything like it.

The game worked like this:

on a checkered board, you could move on all 4 directions one step at a time. Whenever you tried to walk into the space of an enemy, the combat would start by each taking a turn automatically: the enemy would hit with its attack vs your defense, then subtract from health. Then you would do the same to them. It would keep going on auto untill one of the two would die.

Throughout the game, you would be able to increase your attack, defense and health with orbs, or at an altar, or even by collecting swords and shields.

There were closed doors that would require keys, and invisible doors that you would need to try walking into a wall to open them.

The game had many, many floors. In my memory it would be like 100 floors, but maybe I made that up...

I remember that you were trying to save a princess from the mage, and that you start the game fully strong and equipped, but you lose the fight and go back to floor #1 without anything.

I am a game developer myself and I want to try and recreate this, but would love to try and contact whoever made the original first.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

[Puzzle RPG][1990s?] Tower of the Mage (or similar name)

Post by MrFlibble »

I think I know what you're talking about. Tower of the Sorcerer?
Burnthorn

Post by Burnthorn »

Holy shit thats it! Thank you!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Yay! Good luck contacting the author!

BTW, I gather that there are other games with similar gameplay, at least this one, much earlier DOS title, appears to have comparable mechanics:
https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/the-black-orb