First person sci-fi game from my childhood (2006-2008)

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
YakkovDOS

Post by YakkovDOS »

hello hello!

there was a game that i remember faintly that i wanted to see if i could find again, and here seemed like the best place to ask, and ill provide as much as i can.

the game was first person, i cant remember if it was a shooter or not. from what i remember you were in a space station, it honestly gives me doom style vibes in my head. the window of the game had the title "escape" iirc but that would give me no results when searching other parts of the internet. there was an enemy that was fully white, he looked pretty tanky and had long arms that kinda looked like fins in a way? it is the only enemy i remember, but i do recall there being others. there was also a glitch that i remember VERY vividly that wasnt hard to do, and it would just put you inside of a small room that wasnt escapable, and when you moved the wall textures would warp with you.

my first choice was marathon, but that doesnt seem to be the game at all after looking at each game in the series. it might just be a doom wad and i dont even know it.

this detail might help, or might not, but it could also be shareware of some sort. i remember as a child getting this cd from my mother that said something like "101 games" or "1000 games" and i remember those being just shareware dos games. i have no idea if it came from this or not.

if anyone has any ideas, please lemme know, thanks :)

edit - i played this game around 2006-2008ish but im sure the game came out long before this.
Last edited by YakkovDOS on Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
YakkovDOS

Post by YakkovDOS »

unknown (17).png
unknown (17).png (27.02 KiB) Viewed 730 times
this probably wont help at all, but this is how i remember the enemy i described looked. (sorry for the image not looking very well, im no artist lol)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

There's a game/demo called Station Escape, the only enemy type is an astronaut in white suit that looks like this:
YakkovDOS

Post by YakkovDOS »

hello, sadly this isnt it :(

the enemy i referred to wasn't humanoid at all, and it was fully white, but this was a very good suggestion
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Earlier versions of Freedoom have a character similar to what you describe:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/freedoom/sheet/56124/
YakkovDOS

Post by YakkovDOS »

this! this looks like it might be it! is there a way to download the version with this?
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Yes, you can grab the old builds from the GitHub release pages:
https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/releases

You'll want to look at versions 0.8 and below. Some super early ones are not available because they had proprietary assets sneaked in accidentally, although you might find those at certain old mirrors.

Note that FreedooM is just data files, you'll need a Doom source port to play. Old versions require a Boom compatible port, you can use MBF for DOS or PrBoom+ for newer platforms.