A lost game

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
cristy_maxspeed

A lost game

Post by cristy_maxspeed »

Hello everyone. I found a freeware game that I cannot find anywhere on the internet, its name is Firm Favourite (1994) by New Era Software. Its existence is not mentioned anywhere as far as I know. Luckily, I have it and I will share it obviously, just let me know where to upload it and it's yours :)
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

It is listed as a strategy/sports game, in the places I can find a reference to it, but not what sport.

(They made several soccer statistics games, this sounds like a betting game, maybe for racing horses/dogs?)

Is it really freeware, or merely shareware?

[I saw somebody called 'dbc1712' post in 2013 on another forum (pyra-handheld) about having aquired all of their software catalog, and was then working on porting at least some titles to XP and above.]
cristy_maxspeed

Post by cristy_maxspeed »

It is really freeware. You can check for yourself:
https://mega.nz/#!noJGBSKT!KeH5Ilxxcdi5 ... G6ptl7kGOc
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Thanks, I took a peek at it. The game is about betting at horse-races as I suspected, works fine in DosBox.

It says it's freeware in the introductory menu text, it could be a stripped down version of a larger release.

The (full?) game seems to be titled 'Good to Firm' in the betting/horse selection panels, and also in the registration document, which also refers to another game, called 'It's a fair bet'. Possibly the paid version has more features, I can't say.

---

I also found information on the full 'Good to Firm' game on various sites; it seems there was a demo, probably this 'Firm Favourites' is that; which only allowed playing the races for (simulated) two-weeks of a championship.