Game Spotlight: Fleet (Starship) Tactical Combat Simulator

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Game Spotlight: Fleet (Starship) Tactical Combat Simulator

Post by Quadko »

I'm going through some old shareware CDs (currently 1000 Game for Windows on cd.textfiles.com) and came across a few games that appear to be gems worth knowing about amids the tetris clones, card games, and other forgettable items.

Fleet Tactical Combat Simulator

FTCS is a computer hex boardgame in space with high reviews on the internet and positive comparisons to the Starfleet Battles board game and Interplay's Starfleet Command.

This shareware package says it is version 1.0 with a 1996 copyright for Windows 3.1, and the title screen graphics say Fleet Tactical Combat dropping the word simulator used in other parts of the game and documentation. I've seen a version 1.1 subtitled "Carriers", and the game appears more commonly referred to with an updated title Fleet Starship Tactical Combat Simulator and later copyright dates, presumably as the game was updated over time and new versions released.

http://www.uvlist.net/game-98281-Fleet+ ... +Simulator
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=4168

<center>ImageImageImageImage</center>
HOTU wrote:Fleet Tactical Combat Simulator is an excellent shareware simulation by small developer Smoke and Mirrors Studios that offers a very detailed tactical combat engine that will please die-hard fans of Starfleet Battles tabletop game (on which Interplay's excellent Starfleet Command series is based) and the classic Trek text-only sim. Jeff Kang of Games Domain says it all about this underdog in his very thorough review:

"The setting of Fleet is the not-so-distant future in which humanity's reckless colonization of the galaxy has brought it into contact and conflict with an alien race. You must resolve the conflict in favour of one side or the other by playing the missions as either the Human or Dorrian commander. The missions are non-consecutive and can be played in any order, representing a series of encounters between Dorrian and Human ships. One aspect of the game which I noticed immediately was the game's strong affinity to Star Trek. Whether this resemblance was intended or unconsciously applied is questionable, but the terminology and combat system used in the game will make Trekkies feel right at home. Combat in Fleet takes place between a small handful of ships rather than squadrons of fighters, and at no point in the shareware missions will you ever need to worry about controlling more than two ships. This may be a turn-off for those of you who envision huge epic battles involving hundreds of fighters, but as you play the game you'll soon come to tolerate and appreciate this small number of ships due the detailed and intricate controls.
...read more...
It doesn't seem to be on MobyGames yet, so maybe I can finally move quickly and get my first one in. (OTOH, feel free to beat me to it, I'm slow at such things.)

Download Win 3.x Shareware Version from the 1000 Games CD