Install Sandwarriors demo in DOSBox [Howto]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Install Sandwarriors demo in DOSBox [Howto]

Post by MrFlibble »

I though I'd check out the demo of Sandwarriors (e.g. available here). However, all attempts to install it in DOSBox resulted in either DOSBox freezing, or the installer quitting with an error message before the installation was completed (depending on the DOSBox build).

I tried "installing" the files manually, but the installer also doubles as a sound device configuration programme, and will not allow to configure sound and music unless the installation itself has been completed first.

The solution to this turned out to be quite simple. There is a file in the INSTALL folder of the demo distribution which is called INSTALL.INI. Essentially, it's a script for the installer programme. And it turns out that one of the lines that should display a progress bar during the installation was commended out, and DOSBox fails to interpret the script properly because of that.

So to fix this issue and install the demo in DOSBox, you just need to open INSTALL.INI in a text editor and find the line which begins with

Code: Select all

;English=
Uncomment this line (remove the semicolon at the beginning) and save the changes. The installer should then copy all the necessary demo files and configure the sound devices.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Well, this game is out of my league. Although it has better graphics and sounds than I could do currently, I could not play it since The Holy Bible has the story of God's Israelites against the people of Egypt.

However, the game is very well done. I am sure someone from the right section of society will enjoy it.

My lost.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: God, Great Googly Moogly, is number one!hehe

Post by MrFlibble »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:Although it has better graphics and sounds than I could do currently, I could not play it since The Holy Bible has the story of God's Israelites against the people of Egypt.
I'm pretty certain that the folks in the game are fictional Egyptian-inspired extraterrestrials, not real Egyptians. Also you can just ignore the story and enjoy some nice desert landscapes. But of course it's your choice :)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Well, the first 40 years of my life were harsh just like God's Israelites wondering 40 years in the wilderness before reaching the promise land. So Now that I am 41 years old I am not going back. Besides, I believe in the after-life since it tells of one in The Holy Bible. According to Catholic beliefs we will be together again in the next lifetime. I hate to go through another 40 years of sufferring however if you believe like I do it must be done. Our memories will be wiped and we will relive this life again just the same way it has always occurred. The only difference is that in our souls we "sense" that somehow it is the same thing again! So I am enjoying the rest of my life hehe Until we meet again or next lifetime (whichever comes first hehe)............
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

WTF does this have to do with the OP tienkhoanguyen?
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Well, although I'm on the side of THE ISRAELITES, I would like to make peace with the Egyptians which is where this game is based in. So if you open "Note Pad", there is a "Find" function at the top. Just place ;English in the search box and it leads you home for those who are Egyptians.

So I am just helping those who are Egyptians play a good game made for them.

May God watch over all of us............

Remember to remove that semicolon to activate the game before you save.

Thank Jesus I am home until 100 years old!
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Wally wrote:WTF does this have to do with the OP tienkhoanguyen?