Gravis Ultrasound card on ebay

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Gravis Ultrasound card on ebay

Post by Unknown_K »

[removed invalid E-Bay link]

If your canadian this is a great retro gaming card

(no its not my auction)
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

Is there anything special concerning the Gravis name? Does it have specific advantages for Gravis game pads (for example)?
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

The only thin special about it is that it does a decent mt-32 emulation, has decent wavetable set used by alot of early games and alot of demo's and the digital effects are great for its time.

If your playing your games in emulation mode or dont really care about how the sound and music was supposed to sound in the game then move along, nothing to see here.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

works well with gta on my dos box.

Post by Guest »

Whoa, yeah Johpower!. Some games were designed to take advantage of the Gravis Ultrasound sound card. Also, some game companies promoted the Gravis (try Zone 66's help file, page 11 of 10).

Strangely enough, I never heard of anyone I know actually owning or using one. The Gravis Ultrasound was HYPE HYPE HYPE throughout the 90s!!! I s'pose it was a cool sound card.

As for the Gravis joystick, I guess it just happened to be two unrelated products from the same company.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

The ultrasound had maybe 2-3 great years where people wrote drivers for it in their games. Doom has nice ultrasound support. For general midi the ultrasound was pretty good, so good that most demo's from sceeners used it as soundcards of choice. What killed it off was cdrom based games thats used digital audio for music.. nobody uses midi for games anymore.

Post by Guest »

Kinda like a one-hit wonder.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Anonymous wrote:Kinda like a one-hit wonder.
Quite a few games supported it natively, and it has soundblaster pro and mt-32 emulation.

I have 2 (ultrasound max, and the ultrasound PnP) and they get used for some games and sound great.