Recalling something like the Peter principle but different

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Recalling something like the Peter principle but different

Post by Quadko »

I'm trying to recall something I read but I'm having no luck. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

It's something like the Peter Principle, wherein people are promoted to their level of incompetence and ergo an older large company is mostly staffed with people who can't do their job, but this one is less commonly cited. It's called something like "the XYZZY principle" as well, but maybe principle is the wrong word.

It says something like: most people (employees, companies, software) are good at normal tasks but all fail at rare or exceptional tasks, and then you find one that can do that rare task well, you'll mistakenly assume they can do the common things, too. But you'll be wrong. :)

This ranges from "the employee who can problem solve out of the box like no other can't seem to do time tracking well," to "this accounting software did charts better than anyone so we bought them, but found out they can't track simple sales orders the way all their competitors easily can".

I've run into this with careers and colleagues and companies, but I can't remember or find the name for it, though I know I've read it somewhere. Any ideas?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Any news about this ?

<- is curious, sounds interesting ..............
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

No, I still haven't been able to dig it up. But I know it was something "serious" and not some random web link, so I haven't given up yet. Thanks for the ping, I'll try to put some renewed energy into the search.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Interesting, I've never heard of the Peter Principle before :)

What you're asking about though sounds like something Daniel Kahnemann would write about. Indeed, maybe what you're looking for is actually a type of heuristic or maybe a bias?
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Nice lists. I didn't see it in there, so maybe it was invented by the author. (I wonder what kind of bias that is!) But I recall reading about the similar Halo effect at the same time as a similar type of management and hiring problem.

Maybe this means I'll have more luck from looking through my books than trying to find it on the web. Thanks!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Still looking for it, but stumbled on Parkinson's Law again: Work expands to fill the available time.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Found these while still searching for the one I want:

Sturgeon's Law: 90 per cent of everything is crap.
- In any given field, the vast majority of its works are of low quality.

Clark's Third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Gehm's Corollary: Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Eponymous_laws