Favourite oldskool rpg?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Oldskool81

Favourite oldskool rpg?

Post by Oldskool81 »

Mine was the the Krynn trilogy(part of the gold box collection) those games engrossed me at a young age and moulded me to the kind of games I enjoy today :)
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Ultima fanboy here, Ultima IV in particular. And Might & Magic Xeen a few years later. Though I think it was the squad combat of Breach that set me up for RPGs later.

I had been a budding boardgame wargamer (particularly Avalon Hill's "Ambush!") before getting a computer, and I remember wondering why fantasy games were called RPGs - Rocket Propelled Grenades! Once I learned what it meant, I was disgusted they'd use such a common term (!) in such a confusing fashion. :rolleyes: What fun to be a young teenager.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

If I had to pick one it would probably be Ultima VIII: Pagan, don't ask why, really don't know, just know I lost a lot of time on that one.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Kind of on topic, I just stumbled upon a modern RPG that goes really retro, called Underworld. Haven't tried it yet but it seems like a neat project.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Oooh, that's sweet looking. Thanks for the link! I bet I could get $10 worth of fun out of something that looks like that.

And the map at the bottom of the page rocks.

That reminds me to do the rounds and check up on how Eschalon III, Legend of Grimrock II, and whatever Spiderweb Games is up to are coming along.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Here's some free jRPG style game that uses the DarkBasic game engine: Dego
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Found yet another retro looking RPG:
http://www.deepfall.moonfruit.com

No idea if it's good though.