Larry 6 on a real DOS computer

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Posix_memalign

Larry 6 on a real DOS computer

Post by Posix_memalign »

Hi,

I'm trying to run Larry 6 on my DOS 6.20 computer. I know I could just use DOSbox or SCUMMVM, however I really insist on running the game on actual hardware -- a lot of it has to do with pure nostalgia and some of that gets lost when I'm using a modern computer and launch the game from a modern GUI, etc. However that is an argument probably worthy of its own thread.

The game does start and run with no issues. However the game exits to DOS when attempting to save. Error message:

"Out of hunk!
Script #: 0, IP: a18"

It does not always crash like this, but it does so very often. I've played around some with different audio configurations and memory configurations, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

However "hunk" probably means heap? It does in any case sound like a memory issue and can probably be solved by running with a particular memory configuration. Does anyone know in particular (or even have a vague idea of) what is needed?

I have 583 kiB of conventional memory available and 32768 kiB of EMS memory.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Weird, "Out of hunk!" usually means a network related problem ....
Do you have share.exe loaded?

Also: 583 KB base mem seems pretty low to me, seems you have a lot of junk loaded, or not enough in high mem....? Me thinks your config needs some (a lot) of fine tuning.

Also²: possible exotic mem managers ??? (QEMM ... etc???)

Also³: does Larry 6 needs EMS enabled? I don't remember .....???

BTW, larry 6 (if you have the full CD ????) can also run painless and flawless in W3.x, maybe you better take that road.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.