Warcraft 2: expansion install problems [Win7]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Baconbits

Warcraft 2: expansion install problems [Win7]

Post by Baconbits »

Hi, so I managed with windows 7 64bit to avoid all that annoying virtual drive crap and install the windows warcraft 2 cd by mounting my drives and running the install through dosbox onto my HD. I played it through and beat wc2 and now I wanted to install the windows warcraft 2 exp cd and play. I figured I'd follow the same process as before but what a surprise it doesn't work. It says it can't find the war2.exe and that I must have original game in order to install the expansion. After which I yell at my computer saying the exe is right there.
My process goes like this.

mount C C:\dosbox\
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
D:\
install

then I gave it the directory for warcraft 2 which is C:\dosbox\war2\
which is where it lies to me and says it doesn't exist. any ideas?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Warcraft 2: expansion install problems

Post by dosraider »

Baconbits wrote:Hi, so I managed with windows 7 64bit to avoid all that annoying virtual drive crap ......

mount C C:\dosbox\
Is plain wrong.
Read and apply the pinned Win7 howto.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Baconbits

Post by Baconbits »

Well I followed the windows how to and moved all my files into the new folder called oldgames. Changing the mounted folder location didn't seem to accomplish anything I still get the same error message.

I did

mount C C:\users\***\oldgames\

for the install program I gave the warcraft 2 location

C:\users\***\oldgames\war2

"Incorrect or missing war2.exe in the specified directory. This add-on requires the retail version of Warcraft 2"
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Moi need:
-mount lines + inputs when installing game+
-mount lines +inputs when running game+
-mount lines +inputs when trying to install expansion pack.
Detailed, yes "all that annoying virtual drive crap" as you call it.
Also: do you have the original CD or a downloaded one?
Also²: post a screenie of your mounts + error screen.

Also³: I don't think you can install the exp pack on a cracked version, but I'm not 100% sure about that........
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Wait a sec .....
Baconbits wrote:for the install program I gave the warcraft 2 location

C:\users\***\oldgames\war2

"Incorrect or missing war2.exe in the specified directory. This add-on requires the retail version of Warcraft 2"
'C:\users\***\oldgames\war2' is not the correct path in dosbox, that's your windows path to the virtual drive.
@ the C:\ dosbox prompt it should be c:\war2\
Baconbits

Post by Baconbits »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH hahaha. That did it. Yea I forgot how I mounted the C drive I guess. See I knew I didn't need to go through the hassle of a virtual drive :D. Dumb mistake on my part though, thanks for the help. FYI its a legit cd. I was a fan of blizzard long before world of warcraft came out.
Baconbits

Post by Baconbits »

argh.. a new problem has arrived :angry: . Everything runs fine but now its playing midi music instead of the better quality music off the cd. I read another post and made an image of the cd with imgburn. I took the bin and cue files named em both WC2X and put them in a folder in my oldgames directory. I Mounted everything as shown in some of your screenshots and got an error.
Process:

Z:\> Mount C C:\users\***\oldgames\
Z:\> Imgmount d C:\war2cd\wc2x.cue -t cdrom
could not load image file: C:\users\***\war2cd\wc2x.cue
MSCDEX: Failure: Invalid file or unable to open.

Heeewlp!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Baconbits wrote:See I knew I didn't need to go through the hassle of a virtual drive
That's where you are completely wrong once again, you did, and for more than one reason.

Baconbits wrote: Z:\>C:\war2cd\wc2x.cue -t cdrom
Baconbits wrote:C:\users\***\war2cd\wc2x.cue
Make up your mind will you? Which is it?
C:\war2cd\wc2x.cue or C:\users\***\war2cd\wc2x.cue ???????????????

Also:
Baconbits wrote: I took the bin and cue files named em both WC2X
Care to explain that? Did you changed the name after creation ????
Baconbits

Post by Baconbits »

The Image files bin and cue or Wc2x (yes I renamed them, which I thought we were supposed to?) I put in a folder called War2cd in the Oldgames folder. Soo.. The location for the bin and cue's is at C:\users\***\oldgames\War2cd . The game is in another folder also in oldgames. So since I mounted C already as users\***\oldgames doesn't that mean I need to imgmount the images as C:\war2cd\wc2x.cue -t cdrom ? Because C: is technically C:\users\***\oldgames ????
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ......... ah well, let see if I can explain how things work:
Baconbits wrote:The Image files bin and cue or Wc2x (yes I renamed them, which I thought we were supposed to?)
No, unless you know what you're doing you never rename them.
The *.cue file has name tags pointing to the *.bin that won't match anymore when you rename the files.
Makes your image worthless (unless you know what you do and know how to edit cue files, I don't think you know), so:
delete the bin/cue and create the image again and leave as is, don't rename stuff whithout knowledge of how things work.
Baconbits wrote: I put in a folder called War2cd in the Oldgames folder. Soo.. The location for the bin and cue's is at C:\users\***\oldgames\War2cd . The game is in another folder also in oldgames. So since I mounted C already as users\***\oldgames doesn't that mean I need to imgmount the images as C:\war2cd\wc2x.cue -t cdrom ? Because C: is technically C:\users\***\oldgames ????
You don't make any sense at all.
Imgmount lines are not related to virtual C mounts.

If your image is
C:\users\***\oldgames\War2cd.cue and C:\users\***\oldgames\War2cd.bin
your mount line should be:
imgmount d C:\users\***\oldgames\War2cd.cue -t cdrom

In other words: imgmount must point to the real (or exact) windows path.
Nothing to see with your virtual C mount.

Maybe you should take a look@ the dosbox manual and readme ... it's all there, just saying, no pun intended.
Last edited by dosraider on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baconbits

Post by Baconbits »

Ahhh ok. So I should name the images during with imgburn when I'm creating the image? I mean otherwise the bin and cue file name is something long like warcraft_2_expansion_disc.cue

Ugh this is very confusing but I think I see where I screwed up with the mountings. I basically still have to give the full path to the image file even if my mounted C drive already includes some of it because they're not related? Correct?
Baconbits

Post by Baconbits »

Well from the little bit I read I guess I can't rename the bin and cue in the imgburn, I guess I'll just deal with the long file name. Is it still ok to put the bin and cue files where I did previously?.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Correct, they are not related, as I said.

As for the name, you can give them a short dos compliant name by creation, imgburn will usually propose the cdlabel or name (if is) but you can change the name as you wish before creation, the CD label-name will be stored in the image file.
To rename: click on the folder icon in 'destination' in the main imgburn window after you select 'create image file from disc'.

A good name for the expansion pack CD could be:
wc2ex.cue - wc2ex.bin
..... or whatever you like.

To be complete:
Dos compliant:
8 chars, no spaces nor windows jingle bells, the simpler the better.
Valid dos naming is 8.3 format.
8 chars max for the name.
3 for the extension.
Baconbits

Post by Baconbits »

It works!!!! WOOOOHOOO. You sir are a dosbox god and have brought back the glory of warcraft 2.