Car driving maze game"too fast" for xt [Up'n Down]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.

Car driving maze game"too fast" for xt [Up'n Down]

Post by Guest »

This is the first car driving game I remember, gotten from a friend, so I don't recall if it came in a box or was a BBS download.

Your car raced up the screen, but you didn't really steer the car, just choose which "turn" or "fork in the road" to make. As I recall, the turns were all Y forks as the roads scrolled down the screen and you drove "up" like an early less fun version of spyhunter. I don't recall any enemies, or guns on the car; so it would just be an arcade maze game where you zipped up the screen making "left/right" choices. Make the wrong choice (?) or don't make a choice (?) and the car crashed at a dead end or into the fork. Or something like that.

It was definitely CGA, and for some reason when I heard about the Steve Jackson "Mille Bornes" card game I thought they were talking about this computer game - so maybe the name was similar? But gameplay was unrelated as I recall.

It ran too fast on the PC XT, so must have been 4.77 PC-only game, and probably released in the very early 80s? I used to have fun seeing how many seconds I could live on the XT's "double speed" hitting keys as fast as possible. I've never come across it since in spite of having fun browsing old dos game sites.

This ring any bells? Thanks!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Up'n Down by Sega

Post by Quadko »

(this guest request was me before I acquired a username)

I dug out some old floppies and tracked this down.
I knew the game as "mitch" for some reason - filename was mitch.com.
It's actually Sega's "Up'n Down", says so right on the title screen

http://www.segaretro.org/Up%27n_Down
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... e_id=10273

It was a dos port of an arcade game, and it looks like it was ported to all the platforms. Dosbox finally runs it slow enough to play! But if I'm really going to play it I guess Mame is likely a better choice. And hey, if you live more than a few seconds, there ARE other vehicles! One more life mystery solve-ed.