looking for "In the pit"[Found, THX to teamforce]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
h4x0r

looking for "In the pit"[Found, THX to teamforce]

Post by h4x0r »

Hi I'm looking for an old DOS game I had played (well actually I didn't play it much, more just looked at than played)

At the time I had found the game very interesting, but I don't remember it's name or the name of the many characters in the game
I vaguely remember seeing "In the Pit" in the title screen of the game but using this phrase in Google doesn't show the game (instead, searching for in the pit gives search results for Pitfalls)

The game has some kind of a Yellow blob as the protagonist (the character looks somewhat like the ghosts of Pacman, but I can't remember most of the details)
The antagonists look similar, but with different colours and some additional features like glasses (I remember there being a green one with a cigarette)
The protagonist is supposed to be rescuing his friends (friends or family or babies I can't remember, but I think I vaguely remember the game story showing miniature versions of the protagonist)
The hero has to go across rooms jumping on the floating blocks above a floor of spikes. Sometimes he has to jump to a secret location that will reveal a hidden block and then he has to jump on the blocks to go across the room, without touching the antagonists
I think you had to press the spacebar to jump and if you just pressed and released the space bar the jump was for a shorter height and if you pressed the space bar too long the hero would jump too high so you had to time it just right to jump across the rooms on floating blocks

This is about as much I remember of the standard mode of gameplay

There was another mission the hero could go through (I don't remember if it was bonus or a standard level)
There is a large hedgehog as an antagonist (he had a name as well but I don't remember it)
In one task the hedgehog asked the hero "what is the square root of <some number, I don't remember exactly what>" and there were 2-3 simple options like 1 and 2, one option 3.1416 (PI upto maybe 8 or 10 decimal places I think) and a last option called "stuffed if I knew" and if we picked the last option the hedgehog would roll over in defeat saying "you may have beat me this time but ...<something>"
In another mission, the hedgehog would be shown in the middle of the screen, immobile (as if it was a statue) and miniature versions of the hedgehog, called his minions, would float around the screen. The yellow hero character had to run around left and right across the bottom of the screen pushing a basket with him and try to get the basket under the minions, while the minions floated around the screen jumping across the screen walls)

This is about as much I can remember of the game. I can remember, somewhat, the music played during the title screen when the game is started but right now I have no way of posting that here.

By todays standard it is a very childish and simple game with crude graphics but it was one of the first games I had played and I would be very grateful if someone can post the name and link for that game and maybe some screen shots as well

The computer I played the game on was Pentium I with Windows 95 so I hope this gives the readers some idea about the year of the game (as I can't remember for sure)
Last edited by h4x0r on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

No idea, but such a great description deserves some response. Here is an evil platform game it isn't: http://youtu.be/lRviZKJIjSw

And I didn't have any luck with my google-foo of your description, but you can omit words from google by using a minus sign, like -pitfall in order to filter out games you know it is not. Hope that helps.
thetemp

Post by thetemp »

I remember a game "In The Pit", can't get any results on google though. Background music was exclusively Nirvana, same as the game you are describing?
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Could it be one of those Blupi games?
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

thetemp wrote:I remember a game "In The Pit", can't get any results on google though. Background music was exclusively Nirvana, same as the game you are describing?
I can also remember the first part of the theme music but can't quite describe it
MrFlibble wrote: Could it be one of those Blupi games?
no it's not this, unless unless this game has a really old dos version
The screen shots in this website look too shiny and 3d-esq, the game I meant had much older DOS graphics

Post by Guest »

Alright I definitely played this game and as for nostalgia's purposes decided to search it on Google ending up here. Anyway I had it on a CD for the longest while i'll try and look around and see if I have it. Great soundtrack for such a childish game though there was a lot of Nirvana on there and even some Doors tunes.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

Anonymous wrote:Alright I definitely played this game and as for nostalgia's purposes decided to search it on Google ending up here. Anyway I had it on a CD for the longest while i'll try and look around and see if I have it. Great soundtrack for such a childish game though there was a lot of Nirvana on there and even some Doors tunes.
Do you remembe if the game's name was "In the pit" or if the title had that phrase? I am not exactly sure
Fritzguyes

Post by Fritzguyes »

Artist's rendition. And yes, it is called In The Pit.

http://imgur.com/a/C8MT5
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

where did you get the screen shots?
they look somewhat similar to the game I am looking for (I cannot say if it's the same one)
The first picture definitely looks familiar
I remember in rooms like this, if you jumped to some specific locations, then bricks (or platforms) would appear in the air for you to stand on
The hedgehog in the 2nd picture looks vaguely familiar too
I need to find this game
Fritzguyes

Post by Fritzguyes »

The screenshots were made by me. I created in Paint to provide some visual aid. I have very vivid memories of the game and can reproduce even more levels later on if my memory can handle it.

I am myself looking for the game, and as far as I know the game was created with a simple game creator program during the mid-90s. Since thousands of such games were released on the internet as freeware, In The Pit may have long since disappeared and is probably long dead.

However, there are still three things that can be done. The first, I can search through some (very) old hard drives and look for the game. Second, I have memories of a Windows CD that contained a lot of shareware and freeware programs to browse such as PLBM games and 3D Studio (I think). There is a slim chance that I may still possess it, and even slimmer chance that In The Pit is on the CD.

The third option is to seek advice from other people who may have information or access to the game (like you're doing now!). The first thing that comes to my mind is to contact Lazy Game Reviews (LGR). LGR is a man who owns thousands of games from the 80s to present, with his collection spanning many platforms and operating systems. He is very familiar with old DOS games and just might have information about In The Pit if not the game creators that were probably used to create the game.
Fritzguyes

Post by Fritzguyes »

And if it helps, the yellow blob you play as resembles the generic yellow smilies (emoticons) commonly found in forum threads like the ones found below (unless you have disabled them. :blah: :laugh: :o :) :suspicious: :upset:
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

Please do let me know if you have that game
I've been trying to see if I can find that game since 15 years
teamforce

Post by teamforce »

Alright, I was going to post here a few months ago, as I'd been looking for the game as well. I used to own a copy of the CD mentioned above, which included In The Pit as well as some PLBM titles. In fact, I still have it. After a little search, I actually found the game and uploaded it to my dropbox. If you're interested, you can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6hdvrcs91v2g ... %20Pit.rar
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

THX teamforce, very nice of you, it's appreciated. :)
h4x0r wrote:Hi I'm looking for an old DOS game......
FYI: it's a win3 game, and it runs fine in dosbox0.74/Win3.x ...
A testrun:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/inthepit.png/
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

WOOOW
This is it
I never thought I would see this game again in my life
Ever since I started using the Internet I have been looking for it and couldn't find it
Even this post is more than a year old
A lot of thanks to teamforce for sharing this and to everyone else who replied to this post and kept the thread alive
Big Thank you to dosgames.com for hosting this forum
I am playing it on VMWare and the jumping control in this game is as frustrating as ever
It's a fun game though
Thanks to everyone

@dosraider: I have set up my forum profile to send me instant email notification of replies but I didn't get any emails for the last 2 posts here
could you please look into it?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

h4x0r wrote: @dosraider: I have set up my forum profile to send me instant email notification of replies but I didn't get any emails for the last 2 posts here
could you please look into it?
Your 'Always notify me of replies' is indeed 'YES' in your profile, so it should be OK.
Maybe a Yahoo spam filter...???
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

Hi
It's not because of spam filter
I don't see the emails in the spam folder either
and the check box "Notify me when a reply is posted" in QUICK REPLY is also checked at all time
in fact, I didn't get any email notification of this latest reply either
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

... hmmmm, then I have no idea, but I will forward your post into the admin sub, maybe one of the other admins know what's going on.
indiantallguy

Post by indiantallguy »

I remember In The Pit, I had it on a CD which featured several old school PLBM games. They were great fun to play! However, ITP frustrated me as some of the levels were so hard to get by on the limited number of lives you got. Unfortunately I can't play the game any more because the CD got corrupted. I am extremely curious to know if anybody has completed the game or achieved something substantial like killing the hedgehog boss. If anyone has, please write about it or post pictures.
Thank you