* Modern Gaming Computer? [potential upgrades]

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

XP is probably the best overall gaming platform [for modern games] that I've ever used. It's NEVER crashed on me for anything Windows made later than 1997.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

jmmijo wrote:Another freeware utility I found is called FreeRAM XP Pro and the author calls it donationware in that if you can, please make whatever amount of a donation you can ;)
I'm game. Just D/L'd it and will give it a try soon.
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Rebelstar

Post by Rebelstar »

My PC is now ten months old (P4 2.66, 512 PC2700, R9000 64MB), and I suppose that if I fitted a better graphics card it would play any game well enough. Thing is, I mostly buy older, cheaper games. As a newcomer to the PC, there are hundreds of games that I want to check out. I love rifling through bargain bins for old, unwanted games. I just picked up Hardwar in the Co-op the other day. I bought Quake 2 last week.

There are sure to be some DOS titles finding their way into my PC in the near future. When games are this cheap (and I've been in console land these past seven years), I can't resist checking them out. Who knows what gaming nuggets are waiting to be discovered out there? Long live budget games!
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Rebelstar wrote:My PC is now ten months old (P4 2.66, 512 PC2700, R9000 64MB), and I suppose that if I fitted a better graphics card it would play any game well enough. Thing is, I mostly buy older, cheaper games. As a newcomer to the PC, there are hundreds of games that I want to check out. I love rifling through bargain bins for old, unwanted games. I just picked up Hardwar in the Co-op the other day. I bought Quake 2 last week.

There are sure to be some DOS titles finding their way into my PC in the near future. When games are this cheap (and I've been in console land these past seven years), I can't resist checking them out. Who knows what gaming nuggets are waiting to be discovered out there? Long live budget games!
Budget games are new games that come out cheap and usually suck, your talking about classic games that were made years ago and are now inexpensive to buy new (big difference).

I got startcraft and the starcraft expansion new for $10 each, older games that still are fun to play (even online).
Rebelstar

Post by Rebelstar »

"Budget games are new games that come out cheap and usually suck, your talking about classic games that were made years ago and are now inexpensive to buy new (big difference)."

Yes, point taken, but to me any game on sale below £10 is a budget game, regardless of when it was first released. I've only paid more than £10 twice so far, and hopefully never again!

What I enjoy doing is looking through Gamefaqs and some old Arcade magazines I still have, and finding games that I think I might enjoy playing. Then, in my travels, if I see any of them going for a song, I grab them! This has led to a few disappointments, sure, but on the whole I think I've done pretty well. If I can, I like to obtain the original paper manuals when I buy a game.

Starcraft is a possibility. I enjoyed PS1 Warcraft 2, and I have PC (and Mac!) Warcraft 3 (£7.50).