Grrrrr....My Computer has Issues.

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Renae

Grrrrr....My Computer has Issues.

Post by Renae »

I went away for 2 weeks and used my laptop at my parents home with no problems. When I came back I found I had nothing but problems.

The 1 that is really bugging me is that every time I try to open My Computer or My Documents or My Pictures from the desktop or start menu a dialog box for 'Windows Installer' comes up and if I don't press cancel it will then change to a dialog box that says it is now configuring Adobe Acrobat and something about 7.0.08 (i think that is the right number). If I let that box run it will then tell me I have to restart the computer to complete the update process - but that achieves nothing because I will have the same problem next time I try to go into My Computer.

If I cancel the first dialog box - the windows installer one - i will get the same windows installer box and i will have to cancel 2 or 3 window installer dialog boxes before My Computer will open. If I close the My Computer window, I will have to go through the same thing all over again should I want to go into My Computer or My Documents.

It is so annoying :huh:

I have tried running countless virus scans using Avast, AVG and NOD32 and have found nothing.

I can't find my Adobe disk so if any one knows of any possible causes for this and any solutions that don't include uninstalling and reinstalling adobe it would be much appreciated

(Otherwise I guess I will just have to turn my place upside-down looking for that darn elusive adobe cd....)
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Bloody Windows.. this is why I dont use it much.

Is it Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat?
Renae

Post by Renae »

I have Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional on my computer.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

That's not a Windows problem Wally, it's an Acrobat problem.

I said this a thousand times before: don't use Acrobat, install nothing from Adobe, as it's cross platform( Win- bloody Mac) you'll have only problems with that shit.
My advise can onle be: deinstall and never install again.
But even the deinstaller leaves a lot of crap behind. :/

Use OpenOffice instead.
Or if you only need a PDF reader use Foxit.

If you absolutely need Adobe (work ....) go to their site and install the latest updates, good luck with that.

OpenOffice:
http://www.openoffice.org/
If you only need a PDF reader:
http://www.download.com/Foxit-PDF-Reade ... 13206.html
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Renae

Post by Renae »

Thanks, i'll give the updates a try. I want to scan documents into a PDF document so I really would like to keep Adobe if I can. Typical thou, I've never had problems with Adobe before and now that I actually want to use it to create my own PDF files I am having all these problems....

With all these computer issues I'm having (my laptop battery is stuffed, I'm having serious issues with my wireless network, this latest problem with Adobe and the fact that it takes my computer like 10 minutes to start up and to load any programs), I think my best option is to win the lottery and use it to buy 2 things: a new laptop, and a hammer to destroy this one I'm on at the moment :laugh:
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Or you could reinstall Windows ...... I suppose you don't have a sysbackup?
Start over from scratch if needed and avoid to install crappy things on your laptop.

BTW, OpenOffice also scans/creates PDF.
There are other freeware PDF creators around, google is your friend.

Problem with Adobe is that it installs a shitload of needless crap.
And it slows your system down. :/
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Renae

Post by Renae »

I didn't know that about OpenOffice - I will definitely give it a go and get rid of Adobe.

I know all about slow systems, lol. My laptop is a 4-year old Inspiron 1150 with a whopping 25gb hard drive :rolleyes: and i think its nearing is retirement age (believe me as soon as I save up enough for a new laptop this one is going into forced redundancy...)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

A smaller freeware PDF creator and pretty good (NOT VISTA !!! -yet-):
http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator
Because OpenOffice it also kinda heavy.

And if your laptop is really that slow, reinstall Win, really.
As you only have a 25 GB HD, it can't be that hard to backup your personal files.
Or install W2K on it, does allmost all that XP does and faster.

Djees, you even could consider W98, but that's kinda obsolete, alas.
Renae

Post by Renae »

Thanks heaps. I guess I will have to dig around for all my install disks after all. And borrow a friend's external HDD to back up my files (I only have a CD burner and I'd say I have at least 6 CDs worth of saved photos and documents :) ). I keep suggesting to my folks that they buy me a new laptop instead as a graduation present (One that can have more than 1 game installed on it at a time) but I haven't got very far with that....
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

1. Uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader.
2. Install <a href="http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php">Foxit Reader</a>
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Must be that damned echo again ...... :laugh:
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

lol, I didn't realize you linked to Foxit already... I really did skim the thread. lol. I just linked to the official site.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Yeah, and your crap-arse link as usual swirl peeps off our site.
Is it that hard to use simple links?
Wardrich=n00b.
:laugh:
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Don't install it all on Mac OS 10.4 higher, its got a native PDF reader..

I wonder why Microsoft haven't got that far yet.

Wally
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Microsoft's kinda screwed that way ... if they build stuff into the OS, people complain about their "monopoly". If they don't, ppl complain that Windows lacks such-and-such a feature. :blah:
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:Don't install it all on Mac OS 10.4 higher, its got a native PDF reader..

I wonder why Microsoft haven't got that far yet.

Wally
Do you ever READ what peeps write Wally?
Renae wrote: I want to scan documents into a PDF document ....
:blah:
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

emmzee wrote:Microsoft's kinda screwed that way ... if they build stuff into the OS, people complain about their "monopoly". If they don't, ppl complain that Windows lacks such-and-such a feature. :blah:
That's average computer users for ya... :rolleyes:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

What's in fact more amazing is that there is no reason whatsoever to whine about this or that feature.
Instead of being forced to accept everything that is shoved down your throat as any Macuser, there is a wide choice in excellent -(and usually much better programmed)- freeware applics.
Not to mention teh pirated ones.
Hey, PC users even can run Linux easily!!!
:D