My Secret of Monkey Island YouTube review

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
mattbarton.exe

My Secret of Monkey Island YouTube review

Post by mattbarton.exe »

Hi, guys, I've produced a video review of one of my favorite games, The Secret of Monkey Island (EGA version for authenticity!). I love old DOS games, and this is definitely one of the best!

I thought you might like to see it, and I'd really like to know what you think. This is episode #8 of my game history show, and I'm open to suggestions and requests for future episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzTP6f5H3QI

Note - be sure to watch the HD version; you can make out more details in the game that way. :D
Rick Sirocco

Post by Rick Sirocco »

Hi Matt,
Great review and I loved your book also! :) :D

Cheers,
Jon B)
Ship High in Transport
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Liked the review, looked up your Dungeons and Desktop book on Amazon.

I love RPGs (I've probably played about 90% of the games you reference), but $31.00? That's quite an investment... I still might cave and buy it this summer. No paperback versions, I assume?

edit: also saw you're from St. Cloud, Minnesota! I grew up there. :)
mattbarton.exe

Post by mattbarton.exe »

Hi, guys! I'm glad that you liked my review!

Dogbreath: I'm sorry about the high price of the book. That's not something I have control over; the publisher gets to set the prices. Make sure you read the reviews and ask me if you have any questions before ordering! :)

That's pretty amazing that you're from St. Cloud. I like it here, though it sure does get cold in the winter time. Now it's approaching summer and so lovely! Can't wait to hit the Lake Woebegone trail on my bike again.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Yeah, I lived off of McKinley Place in St. Cloud back in the day, though nowadays I live in a far more habitable environment. :) (though they make fun of the way I talk here in Indiana)

Don't mind me complaining about prices, I'm a university student and regularly have to pay $80+ for textbooks, so it's just a knee-jerk reaction. I'll just go ahead and get a rich(er) friend to buy the book as a present for me. :)
mattbarton.exe

Post by mattbarton.exe »

LOL, I never make fun of people for the way they talk. People just talk the way they do because of the region they grew up; it's part of who they are. Or maybe I'm just making excuses for my Southern drawl. :laugh:

Anyway, I should be getting the next Matt Chat up either tonight or tomorrow. I'll give you more information when it's done, but it is another DOS game--and a very civilizing one at that. :rolleyes:
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Hmmm... tough one... it's not Civilization, is it?

You should check out the Civilization Fanatics Forum and post it there. I'm a semi-regular poster there myself.

And don't you worry boy, I wouldn't go an make fun of a feller from Loozeeanuh for the life of me. :p

Some suggestions for further episodes: Ultima IV (this game had a huge impact on me, and pretty much transformed cRPGs), Starflight, Wasteland, or maybe Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan masters. I don't know if you want to do any lesser known games, but if so, I thought Dragon Wars was f'ing brilliant and deserves a good word.
nickherc

Post by nickherc »

Your reviews are awesome. Would be cool, if you reviewed new games also ;).