Flash movie: Back to the start Mario

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

My apologies

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

God I feel like a giant ass. I'm really sorry I haven't been posting in too many places besides this topic lately... uh most of the time actually.. But hey I try to give everything I can back to the community by putting a link to this forum and the dosgames websites in the credits but really that's NO excuse. (sigh)

I guess it's best that I completely move on out of these forums and just start submitting stuff to Flash sites instead cuz this maaay be irritating some members like Worm.
Yay, let's all vote for your shitty flash thing, since you're a true member of our community.
Yeah you and I know it's shitty but what about THEM :shifty: lol

Again my apologies :shame:
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Mr. Worm wrote:Yay, let's all vote for your shitty flash thing, since you're a true member of our community.
I think he was joking dude :laugh:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

Dude, I just think you should post on the other boards.

You can't take that comment at face value, though. I was not entirely sober, and the joke didn't translate well.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Flash Portal Award!!

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

'Back to the Start Mario' recently recieved an Award for best Flash Movie from www.flashportal.com :D

Thanks to the admins and staff (or whoever is responsible for it) there!
back2thestart_SMB

Flash Portal Award!!

Post by back2thestart_SMB »

[quote="Steve Chris"]'Back to the Start Mario' recently recieved an Award for best Flash Movie from www.flashportal.com :D

[URL=http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... arduz4.png][img]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2874/f ... uz4.th.png[/img][/URL]

Thanks to the admins and staff (or whoever is responsible for it) there![/quote]

Dude, good job! Sorry I haven't been on for like 2 months... :shame: anyways, ill post it on [removed] and send you the link for dos-man if you will give me the mirror.

EDIT: :shame: More like 5 months gone... :shame:
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Back to the start Mario... MANIA!!!

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

I know this is an old movie but so many people are uploading it into Youtube it's making me sick! Especially since most of them cut off the credits from the movie and claim it's their own!

Just look this mess!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZzPW6lcwlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQkbhxHdb6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5LsuyfcphA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv71Z8JS9WA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6wXcatmldI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ZumYTS-oYM

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=y6zGU1CuclY

There were more but luckily few of them removed it... but more and more keep pouring in and people are bugging me to give the original .swf I dunno what to do....

Now I've googled most of them out there in a lot of websites, forums, blogs, etc. who rip the movie from Albinoblacksheep.com, Newgrounds, etc. without my asking or mentioning my name or website but since they use the original .swf file my name and website gets credited so it's really these Youtube, and Google vids that are pissing me off. And remember guys you were credited too and these people are removing our names.

And I'm not sure what the hell this is or even if it's still there or not but I saw one website actually try to SELL this movie ???!

http://laughinggames.com/img/mariobackt ... orsale.jpg

Apparently Gawker Media is the publisher of it and Kotaku owns the rights to it??! WTF??! Nintendo and Coldplay YEAH, but WTF are these people?!

Well anywayz since this whole thing kinda started here I was thinking maybe you guys could help me clear it out a bit :D
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Well, firstly contact the Youtube admins, they'll help you some with the people claiming its their own, I hope.

Other than that, *shrugs*, it's what happens when you get popular. Ultimately, people are seeing your work and appreciating it. That's what counts, right?
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

While I don't support getting robbed by users on youtube (follow DB's advice)...

Seriously dude, this thing is over two years old. It wasn't that great to begin with.
Get on with your life. Do something new. Please.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Dogbreath wrote:Well, firstly contact the Youtube admins, they'll help you some with the people claiming its their own, I hope.

Other than that, *shrugs*, it's what happens when you get popular. Ultimately, people are seeing your work and appreciating it. That's what counts, right?
Yeah I guess so. The message it out there so I guess i should be happy. Thanks Dogbreath :D

And Mr.Worm... u can talk all you want about my movies and how u always hate them and how they suck. I post them in public and everyone has their own opinion and I totally respect that! :)

...but please do not talk to me about MY life and how I should get on with it. I kinda draw the line there. If you do indeed think you have to say something about me personally kindly share it with me through PM and not in public. Thank you.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Must say, kinda like that Kotaku pirate.
:D

Maybe you could join the ESA?

FTW 5$ ?
:huh:
Oh man, oh man, o manometer, all that money you lose right now!
You could be already loaded by now.
Damn.

Yep, life is a bitch.
Sing a song.

And when throwing something on yousuxtube put a watermark in it.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

dosraider wrote:Must say, kinda like that Kotaku pirate.
:D

Maybe you could join the ESA?

FTW 5$ ?
Oh man, oh man, o manometer, all that money you lose right now!
You could be already loaded by now.
Damn.

Yep, life is a bitch.
Sing a song.

And when throwing something on yousuxtube put a watermark in it.
Wow somehow reading all that actually made me feel a lot better. Infact it made me forget what the hell i was angry about in the first place lol You have GOT to join my forums dosraider... infact I make you moderator! How does... 5$ a week sound? :D
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Steve Chris wrote:How does... 5$ a week sound? :D
I have 4x as much per houre just by accepting my early retirement.
So: get lost somewhere, will ya?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

dosraider wrote:
Steve Chris wrote:How does... 5$ a week sound? :D
I have 4x as much per houre just by accepting my early retirement.
So: get lost somewhere, will ya?

Did I tell you how important sharing is, recently? :angel:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Good thing I didn't mentioned the bonuses ..... you would probably claim to be a son of mine.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Steve Chris wrote:
Yeah I guess so. The message it out there so I guess i should be happy. Thanks Dogbreath :D

And Mr.Worm... u can talk all you want about my movies and how u always hate them and how they suck. I post them in public and everyone has their own opinion and I totally respect that! :)

...but please do not talk to me about MY life and how I should get on with it. I kinda draw the line there. If you do indeed think you have to say something about me personally kindly share it with me through PM and not in public. Thank you.
I think you misunderstood his comment. He's not talking about your personal life. He's talking about whatever part of your life (artistic, professional?) is involved with the distribution of these movies. Seeing how this one has been seen by about 200,000 or so people (or more, I don't really know), I wouldn't call it personal. (and I don't think he meant it that way, either)

And actually, I pretty much agree with him on this. It was a good movie, people liked it, and it's time to move on to bigger and better projects. Maybe since it's popular, you could create a sequel? If something you made a couple years ago won the attention of a hundred thousand people and several gaming related websites, maybe with practise, you'll turn out something really spectacular that will make you famous, or at least help you professionally.

It's your own stuff, so do as you please! :)

Going off subject;

I want to point out, though, DGF is a community, not just an art appreciation board. We're all involved in each others lives to a certain extent. For a lot of people, that at least goes as far as reminiscing about games and helping one another run those games. For others, it's a lot deeper - I've met several people on these forums in real life, and have fairly deep friendships with others. You can come to expect fairly honest remarks among a group of friends, so don't be surprised when people offer you advice, it's meant well. Thanks!
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Its amazing what people do for credit eh.

It happens all the time everywhere on the internet.

There is a law against this too, report them to youtube as plagiarists.

Wally
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Dogbreath wrote:
Steve Chris wrote:

And Mr.Worm... u can talk all you want about my movies and how u always hate them and how they suck. I post them in public and everyone has their own opinion and I totally respect that!

I think you misunderstood his comment. He's not talking about your personal life. He's talking about whatever part of your life (artistic, professional?) is involved with the distribution of these movies. Seeing how this one has been seen by about 200,000 or so people (or more, I don't really know), I wouldn't call it personal. (and I don't think he meant it that way, either)

And actually, I pretty much agree with him on this. It was a good movie, people liked it, and it's time to move on to bigger and better projects. Maybe since it's popular, you could create a sequel? If something you made a couple years ago won the attention of a hundred thousand people and several gaming related websites, maybe with practise, you'll turn out something really spectacular that will make you famous, or at least help you professionally.

It's your own stuff, so do as you please! :)

Going off subject;

I want to point out, though, DGF is a community, not just an art appreciation board. We're all involved in each others lives to a certain extent. For a lot of people, that at least goes as far as reminiscing about games and helping one another run those games. For others, it's a lot deeper - I've met several people on these forums in real life, and have fairly deep friendships with others. You can come to expect fairly honest remarks among a group of friends, so don't be surprised when people offer you advice, it's meant well. Thanks!
My apologies to Mr.Worm. I was a bit angry while I posted my reply to his comment. At the time I felt he was saying "The movie's old and wasn't that great movie to begin with. Get a life!" Now that I read it again with a cool head I understand much better :)

To be quite frank I don't like this movie much either these days. I made this movie purely for this forum's enjoyment and a little something from my website (as I have done in the past) Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be labeled for it. When I went for my job interview in India and showed some of my Flash stuff I showed him this movie and the guy said immediately "Wait... I've seen this somewhere before. I think someone sent me a link to it. Did you make this?" I was absolutely shocked!

Recently a friend of mine said he saw it being played at Arena (an institute for teaching Flash, Photoshop etc.) He gave them my number and now people I don't know are calling me up and asking me how to make video game movies like the Mario one I did. The instructor there wants to meet me in person apparently.

To top it off I get these sob stories in emails and reviews (at Newgrounds) about how they lost their family to war and stuff. It is so depressing to read them. One kid sent me an email that his Father died in the war, one 11 year old said he lost his dad, his uncle, his brother etc. One guy is saying his friend is leaving for war in a week and if anything happens to him he won't be able to bear it. I want to reply to all of them but I don't know what to say.

I'm constantly asking myself it's just a damn sprite movie with a moral. WHY all this attention?? I really don't deserve it. Also this is NOT what I want to be famous for! I would MUCH rather be famous for something I drew originally or composed music for (like Crickey), but those things get thrown at my face, so I am forced to turn my attention towards this movie :(

I don't know whether to be grateful or ashamed at times really and now these Youtube versions that edit out the credits out have really pushed me I guess. It's like they're taking the one thing I have (sigh)

Anywayz you're right about the community too. I have grown quite attached with this forum over the years, infact it's the only one I still use. :)
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

You should put a watermark in each film, that'll stop the copyright stuff.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Yep, Wally's parents also put a watermark on him, otherwise he's always getting lost somewhere.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Steve Chris wrote:*snip*
Good to see you weren't offended by my comment! And yeah, its been seen all over the world. A year and a half ago, I was shopping and the song "The Scientist" came on the radio in the store. The teenage clerk and I were talking as he scanned my groceries, and he mentioned your movie. I was pretty shocked.

Just saying, if you've got the talent, you could go on to be more than a "one hit wonder."
Anywayz you're right about the community too. I have grown quite attached with this forum over the years, infact it's the only one I still use. :)
This actually made me wonder... again, don't take this the wrong way, but, why do you only post in announcements and this forum? It'd be cool to see you joining a conversation about an old game in Find Old Games or posting in music or general off topic. We'd love to see you there.