good strategy

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
raver2008

good strategy

Post by raver2008 »

hey i'm looking for a good old strategy game because i get tired of all of those new 3d games which are like fully loaded with graphics and stuff like that... you know i wanna play games like settlers 2 you know?
well i hope anybody can help me...

lance
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You ask, we give :)
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/strategy/
4000 + stategy games.
Narrow your search by using the subcats.
Dos-Win-Whatever, and genre.

If you want some more precise answer, give some more details about WHAT you want.

Also:
http://www.dosgames.com/g_sim.php
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/list/cat/12
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Try Civilization of Master Of Orion. Two excellent old strategy games that I play all the time.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=688 - MOO
I can't give you a link for where to download Civilization (AFAIK, Firaxis doesn't sell it anymore), but just search around, you'll find it.

If you like Space exploration type strategy try: Alien Legacy, one of my favorites.

Hell, just check out the strategy page at The Underdogs. It'll keep you busy for a while. linky (17 pages of strategy games)
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Dogbreath wrote:Hell, just check out the strategy page at The Underdogs. It'll keep you busy for a while. linky (17 pages of strategy games)

Yea. It'll keep you busy a long while until the pages actually load! :P
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

It's about a 5 second load time for me... not too bad.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

What? 5 seconds? What the hell man, this sucks, my broadband needs more lovin', cuz 30 seconds is all I get :P
<center>
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

14.5 secs/page (timed).
:upset:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Guated

Post by Guated »

sounds like you guys need to use tuneup utilitys 2007. It optimizes everything about your computer/internet connect. Registry defrag(not Harddrive). Broken links to files etc. makes your pages load in pretty near 3-5secs depending on responce time from their server. I be sure to use this thing after a fresh reformat on any computer.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

er...

WHAT? :huh:

One thing, all tuneup utilities that claim to optimize your computers are shady. If they mess with the registry are even shadier. If you want to *tuneup* your computer, use standalone applications, use a defragmenter, use a registry editor that you have control over(and of course has backup features), and stay the hell away from internet tuneup utilities. The only way to increase your download speed beyond a web server's capacities are download accelerators, and those are frowned upon by certain sites.
Programs that claim to "open up limited connections, and max up your limited-by-Microsoft-number of connections are not to be trusted!!

That and the problem with HOTU is a slow server(read the fine print, 10 seconds to GENERATE a fucking page)

And why the hell would you defrag your hard drive, and clean up your registry AFTER you've JUST FORMATED your computer?
<center>
</center>

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

And not to mention that all the tune_up-speed_up-whatevers_up things would do no good at HotUs, the server IS slow, no speed_up there lolz.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Took me 7.5 seconds... I think it loads faster for U.S. users? =/

It's definitely not our end that's slowing it down... in comparison, going from the forum page to this post takes about a quarter of a second. (Essentially, so fast you can't see it load) Right now my wireless card is at "low" strength, and that's 11 Mbps. It's faster when I'm not in the bedroom/move closer to the router.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Of course, the more distant you are from the wireless, the more time the bitbitbitbitbit need to reach you

. :D
greencosmos
Expert
Expert

Post by greencosmos »

Try Battle for Wesnoth. Great strategy game. :)

Unless you have already, which I believe you have. You should have!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

dosraider wrote:Of course, the more distant you are from the wireless, the more time the bitbitbitbitbit need to reach you

. :D
Yeah, traveling at the speed of light, those 2 or 3 metres make all the difference... damn it, I'm lagging 0.00000001 second!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Einstein said it : everything's relative.
http://whyfiles.org/052einstein/
Speed of light or not, it takes time.
:D

And maybe you live near a ..... blackhole? :o
http://whyfiles.org/052einstein/frame_drag3.html
badlife

Post by badlife »

Sorry for the AD... its not that i get money or anything from it but...

Use System Mechanic Pro 6

My frend has a P3 500 mhz computer... and it runs faster then a P4 3.0 GHZ computer...

and about the games... Try simcity games... (il suggest simcity 3000 network editon if you want an old game... <or>)
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

I don't see how this is in any sort of context. And a 500 MHz PC running faster than a 3.0 GHz? Hardly!

Well maybe if the 3.0 one was crawling with spyware! :P

In any case, please refrain yourself from posting such posts(spam, given the lack of context I mentioned above) in the future, thanks!

Consider this a warning! :)
<center>
</center>