Bought these games today

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
MiniMax
Expert
Expert

Bought these games today

Post by MiniMax »

• Battle Isle 2, by BlueByte, 1993.
    I already have the game, but only as part of a 3-games box.
    Box is a little worn at the edge, but otherwise okay.
    Even comes with update 1.0.5 on a 3½ diskette with BlueByte print.
  • Star Trek - Hidden Evil, by ActiVision, 1999.
    Box is in perfect condition.
  • Myst, by Brøderbund, 1995.
    Box is in (almost) perfect condition.
  • Riven (sequel to Myst), by Cyan & Red Orb, 1995.
    CD-ROM is a mixed Win95/Mac version.
    Box is in perfect condition.
DOSBox ReadMe | DOSBox Wiki | DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Post by NightC »

Nice, how is that star trek game.? I have only played 2 in my life, one a long time ago I do not recall the exact name but it was similar to Kings Quest controls and you were Kirk/Spoc/Mccoy. The copyright protection was in the form of a star map you had to select the right star system or else fight a klingon. Anyone recall its name?

Star Trek Fleet Academy was excellent as well.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Minimax: Awesome! Myst is a sweet game, never played Riven, but keep meaning to.

NightC:
The first one is 25th Anniversary.
Starfleet Academy kicked some major ass. It was pretty damn huge for 1997, though... some 3 or 4 GB. The next game I remember playing that big was Baldur's Gate II, and that was in 2000.

Anyway, if you liked Starfleet Academy, you should check out Klingon Academy. It's similar, but it has a a MUCH better game engine, more races, better multi-player potential, and a better story line. The first half is the actual academy, the second half is a Klingon civil war, so you get to use the skills you learn.

Without a doubt, though, the best Star Trek games were the Starfleet Command games.
NightC

Post by NightC »

Ahh I was looking at Klingon Academy at the link you guys put up in the looking forum. First I knew of it, it does look very good maybe I will get it.

Fleet Academy was very large, in fact it was so large I wouldn't have guessed it came out in 97, I must have gotten it maybe 5 years ago and had no idea it was that old, it had like 5 CDs if I recall. I enjoyed it a lot, although it did seem to end somewhat early, without you really getting to do your own thing outside the academy.

Fleet Commander also looks very interesting, although it looks involved!
MiniMax
Expert
Expert

Post by MiniMax »

NightC wrote:Nice, how is that star trek game.?
Haven't tried it yet. Loaded up Myst and it ran okay on Windows XP, but with a very small grahics window.

I am thinking about buying Win98 and run it (and other early Windows games) in an VMware instance. Should allow for more flexibility, and minimize the risks of corrupting my WinXP install.
Expert
Expert

Post by MiniMax »

• Conflict: Freespace - The Great War, by Interplay, 1998.

Box is in a good condition, with just a little wear at the edges.
    Includes 2 copies of the users guide (1 in Swedish 1 in Danish) and a multipage quick-card with keyboard commands.
  • Wing Commander - Prophecy, by Origin, 1997.

Box is in PERFECT condition. The front of the box has a flip-out page which has never been opended (the little sticker holding it in place is still attached).
    Needless to say, all manuals, guides, quick-cards are there, and even the big fold-out starmap poster is there - completely untouched.
  • Tombraider, by Eidos, 1996.

Box has seen better days. Lower-left corner is held together by tape.
    No manuals, no guides, but surprisingly the registration card and a little advertisement leaflet for other Eidos games is still there.

If I see a better copy I will definitely buy it.
  • Tombraider II, by Eidos, 1997.

Box is in almost perfect condition, but empty!
    Well, not completely empty - since the store did not have the original CDROM, I was offered to buy a 2001 re-release of the game in one those puny little DVD-cases. I bought the re-release version for $6 and got the original box for free.

Again - I will see if I can get the original CDROM and the guides somewhere else.
I also found an (empty) box for Tombraider III, but again the store did not have the CDROM for the game. And no re-release version either, so I could not get the box either :( The store has a sign-up service, so I guess I will sign-up for a copy of Tombraider III. Then I should get an alert if/when it becomes available, either in the store, or from their suppliers.
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

MiniMax wrote:
  • Wing Commander - Prophecy, by Origin, 1997.

Box is in PERFECT condition. The front of the box has a flip-out page which has never been opended (the little sticker holding it in place is still attached).
    Needless to say, all manuals, guides, quick-cards are there, and even the big fold-out starmap poster is there - completely untouched.
Me is droolin'now.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

MiniMax wrote:
  • Conflict: Freespace - The Great War, by Interplay, 1998.

Box is in a good condition, with just a little wear at the edges.
    Includes 2 copies of the users guide (1 in Swedish 1 in Danish) and a multipage quick-card with keyboard commands.
I own this one, bought in in 2000 for $4.50(!). It's pretty good, but Freespace 2 is the masterpiece of the series. Ever played it?
# Wing Commander - Prophecy, by Origin, 1997.

I might have to break into your house sometime... j/k, but great find!
MiniMax
Expert
Expert

Post by MiniMax »

Dogbreath wrote:I own this one, bought in in 2000 for $4.50(!). It's pretty good, but Freespace 2 is the masterpiece of the series. Ever played it?
No, haven't played FS 2. In fact, I haven't played many of the games I have (don't kill me please :no: ). I like to collect them, like the big, old boxes, the same way as I collect LP's.

If you say FS is good, I will keep an eye out for it.

PS: I pay between $6-$12 for these used games.
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Two of the greatest things about Freespace 2:

It went open source in 2003, thus starting FSO, or Freespace Open. Basically, the game has been developed far beyond it's original 1999 limitations, with a vastly superior engine, better, more detailed ship models, beam effects, nebulae, sound effects... everything, really. About 600 MB extra worth of hi-quality graphics that make it easily a match more modern games. (fuck that, it's better than any modern flight sim)

Most of this is being developed by the programmers who created the Descent and Freespace series in their free time, so it's professional stuff. Not what you'd expect from your typical "open source" project. I think you'll still have to find a torrent for FS2 somewhere (forget buying it, copies go for $50+ on e-bay), don't try downloading The Underdog's version of it - it's been cracked and gutted beyond recognition. (Original game is ~1.6 GB, underdogs is something like 450 MB :angry:) If you can't find one, I could ISO my disks and send them. (Yes, I was lucky enough to buy it back in the day) http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.ph ... g_fs2_open <- has links to important files, and an installer that'll download them for you.

The second great thing is Fred2, which is a GCS. Basically, you can make your own complete games using the Freespace 2 engine, and you're only really limited by how much time you put into it. There's Derelict, which is a complete sequel to FS2, complete with new ships and voice acting. There's also complete conversions, like all of the Wing Commander games, and the original Freespace, and new games, like a Babylon 5 game and a Battlestar Galactica game.

I've owned it for 7 years, and probably have only played a quarter of the GOOD campaigns available. Give it a try.
MiniMax
Expert
Expert

Post by MiniMax »

Sounds very promising Dogbreath. I will keep you posted.

Post by NightC »

Sounds involved just to get a computer game to run... although it sounds very very fun and interesting. I have been a fan of space sims since the original Wing Commander and X-wing.
badlife

Post by badlife »

hmm... remainds me of a post in a difrent forum where some pepole gave a scor of 3\10 to el matador ("Born" in 2005 i think) game and a score of 9\10 to a text based dos game... XD
Rich Cook (What a strange name!) wrote: Program design today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.