Evasive Maneuvers [>> On site, new addition :)]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Solidarity_296

Evasive Maneuvers [>> On site, new addition :)]

Post by Solidarity_296 »

Evasive Maneuvers - Does Anybody know this game?

Okay. I’m just begging you, and I don’t normally! I want the full version to this game badly, as crappy as it might seem to some of you! Here’s what I know about it.

Name: Evasive maneuvers (sometimes mispelt Maneuvres)
Author: Chris blackwell (Exaggerated software)
Type: Space shooter
Description: You fly a jet through different structures and buildings. You have to avoid missiles, mines, and ufo’s (although the last one isn’t in the SW), all while collecting fuel to keep your ship in the air. It’s split into four episodes – imperial city (sw), the infastructure, E.N.I.A.C 9, and Desert valley.

I've tried to post some screenshots here, but I don't know if they'll turn out. Sorry if they don't.

Why am I giving you all this information – probably more than you need? Probably because you'd be lucky to find a site that even thinks this game exists! Honestly, I dare you to search the web and link me to a site that’s all about this game! I do! I was lucky just to come across the Shareware version alone, so if anyone, I MEAN ANYONE - has a copy of the full game or knows where I can get it please don’t hesitate to tell me!
[/img]
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

http://wiki.compsci.ca/index.php?title= ... _Maneuvers

2 download mirrors included on the Wiki.

Don't know if it's full or shareware version tough.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Solidarity_296

Post by Solidarity_296 »

Nice try, but's that's not the evasive maneuvers I'm looking for. This game was a side-scrolling shooter with a jet, not spaceships. And it was old... a lot older than this! If you can tell me how to post some screenshots that might help.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

http://imageshack.us/
No registration needed.
Copy/paste the thumbnail url you will get after you uploaded your pic.

*Edit
Hmmm, you're a guest, if you can't post the url change it as:
*http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4894/doggyar2.png

*Edit²
About Author: "Chris blackwell (Exaggerated software)"
Doesn't seems to match the info on moby's.
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... rId,46173/
Moby wrote: Games Credited
Supreme Commander (2007), THQ, Inc.
Asheron's Call 2: Fallen Kings (2002), Microsoft
Ollo in the Sunny Valley Fair (2002), Plaid Banana Entertainment
Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat From Your Head To Your Feet (2001), Humongous Entertainment
Backyard Baseball 2001 (2000), Humongous Entertainment
Putt-Putt Joins the Circus (2000), Humongous Entertainment
Putt-Putt's One-Stop Fun Shop (2000), Humongous Entertainment
Spy Fox 2: Some Assembly Required (1999), Humongous Entertainment
Disney's Hades Challenge (1998), Disney Interactive, Inc.
Disney's Ready to Read with Pooh (1997), Disney Interactive, Inc.
Orion Burger (1996), Eidos, Inc.
El-Fish (1993), Maxis Software Inc.
SimCity 2000 (1993), Maxis UK Ltd., Mindscape, Inc.
SimFarm (1993), Mindscape, Inc.
Unnatural Selection (1993), Maxis Software Inc.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Solidarity_296

Post by Solidarity_296 »

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8444 ... 011nw5.png

Thanks, and theres the screenshot. And while I'm at it, this might help too.

This is the link to where I got the SW version from.

http://archives.scovetta.com/pub/fehq/DOSGames/

Look for Evasive.zip in the list. I hope at least one of them helps you.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Maybe you're could try to contact Chris Blackwell himself?
He is listed on the Gas Powered Games website:
http://www.gaspowered.com/team.php

Sometimes developers from forgotten shareware games are glad that someone still has interest in their work.
Chris Blackwell

Evasive Maneuvers

Post by Chris Blackwell »

I just wanted to point out that the Chris Blackwell from Gas Powered Games that you linked is not the Chris Blackwell who made Evasive Maneuvers. The Evasive Maneuvers Chris Blackwell went on from shareware to a boring career in an non-gaming field.

My apologies go out to the GPG Chris Blackwell. I hope there aren't too many Evasive Maneuvers fans who bug you about the extra levels -- and I also hope you're not taking credit for the game and pretending to be me, you jerk!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

And does the Chris Blackwell who made Evasive Maneuvers still has that game?
Maybe he could share it again as there are still gamers who are interested?
Jens

Post by Jens »

I'd be definetely interested too. Was one of the first games I played in my childhood. And actually one, that caused a hole in my head: I sat on a chair with wheels and when I lost the game (again) I pushed off from the desk, but unfortunately the chair didn't just roll but also tipped over, throwing me on an edge of a cabinet.

Yeah, that were great times. But like Chris I turned away from gaming myself. But I'd change that for some hours, if I could buy the full version :)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Don't hold your breath, Jens, as CB posted as guest he will not know you are interested (Guest posters can't suscribe on a topic).
Also it's always possible ( not probable, but ....) it's a joker that posted.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I actually have the Evasive Maneuvers shareware version on my (now ancient) copy of "1001 Great Games." (It was a Shareware/Freeware anthology released about 12 years back) I don't have the full version (does anyone?), but I could at least get it added to dosgames.com in the next update. It is pretty damn cool.

Then again, I was 11 last time I played it, everything seemed "pretty damn cool" back then. =/
Jens

Post by Jens »

dosraider: Yeah, I know that. But if it really was Chris Blackwell, he might decide to find out what has happened to the thread (like me now) and even if it wasn't the real Chris Blackwell, the real one might find himself in Google some day.
I've been wishing to play the full version for quite some time now - waiting some more months/years isn't that bad.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Dogbreath wrote:... but I could at least get it added to dosgames.com in the next update. It is pretty damn cool.
Sure, send it over. I'm halfway thru doing an update, but I'll add this one as well.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

emmzee wrote:..... I'll add this one as well.
A nice idea.
:clap:
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

emmzee: sent!

FWIW, I'm almost positive it was the real Chris Blackwell - his ISP is Rogers Ontario (phone company that pwns everything there), and his company is located in Ontario... it's have to be a very odd coincidence if it's not him, Occam's razor and all.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

FYI: If you're trying to play this in DOSBox, make sure to NOT use "Max" as the cycles setting. Set the cycles to a reasonable #; if you have cycles set on Max like I usually do the game will crash.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Solidarity_296

Post by Solidarity_296 »

Me again. Funny and ironic. You added Evasive to the site! The whole reason I began asking about it in the first place is because it wasn't on an obvious site like this! Glad some people know or remember about now.
I'm still looking for the full version (I'm losing faith that it even exists though). Still, if I find it I'll be holding onto it like glue so let me know if you want it for the site.
Jens

Post by Jens »

Well, why shouldn't it exist? I remember the screenshots on the ad for the full version. I can't imagine Chris Blackwell offered people to buy the game, although he didn't even finish it.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Yes. Mr. Blackwell really needs to come back here and give us the full version. (if he gave dosgames.com the right to distribute, we'd be the only site in the world to offer it!)
Solidarity_296

Post by Solidarity_296 »

Well, I've been searching for at least three months now without a single good hit on this game. I mean cold hard nothing! But just before I second dogbreath, I have one more suggestion based on what I did find:

Evasive.zip - original evasive shareware (one on this site)

EVASIV12.zip - an Updated 1.2 shareware with a few new features.

???????????? - Registered Version

Does anyone know the registered versions filename? If it's different to the others I may be able to find it with that. It's worked extremely well for me in the past!