How did you find the DOS Games message board?

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.

So, how'd you find this place?

Link on DOSGames.com
41%
Search on Google
30%
Referred by a friend
4%
Hypnotized by one of TD's avatars
4%
Took a wrong turn at Albuquerque
4%
Don't remember (it was so long ago!)
7%
Other (see my reply below)
11%

Total votes: 27

emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

How did you find the DOS Games message board?

Post by emmzee »

So I'm wondering how we can better promote the board to get more people active and using it. I am planning to run another contest sometime soon so look for that. But please let us know how you originally found the boards via the poll and/or replies, thanks!!! :)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Linky on DOSGames.com... I've been leeching for some time, then actually bothered to snoop around... and there came my first <strike>spam</strike> posts!

But, I'd like to know how you emmzee found this board? :laugh:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

lol well I was going to type up a little history post but I remembered DB had already done that for me, so see his post in this thread for a brief history of the DGF:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5417
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

I think someone on Gamehippo said something about some sort of bitter rivalry between them and DOSGames, so I decided to check this site out.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I think it was David Hasselhoff's crotch that did me in. :laugh:

My story of joining the forum can be seen in post 7 of the thread emmzee linked to, so I see no reason to repeat it here. There has, however, been a while since that post. Methinks it prudent to detail the history of the past 2 years:

Since that post, the forum has doubled in number of posters, halved in general intelligence of said posters, and added 2 new admins. Old members have left... for college, out of disgust, or due to seemingly random tribal migration patterns. New members have joined... some intelligent and friendly, some ridiculously inept, and some who are, in fact, old members incognito.

Some new forums were opened, some old forums were closed, and we now actually have a decently active IRC channel. Dosgames Online no longer uses our forum. I've now been here for 6 years, John The Ax still shows up at random times, Ro@m still says words like "owerwiev", and Wally is still a moron.

Essentially, same old same old.
Pancake
Expert
Expert

Post by Pancake »

Well, when I was 11 or so, I was given an old 386 computer by my grandmother just because. So later that night I went online looking for programs as well as games that would work on it. I did a google search for "dos games", and dosgames.com came up (:o). I downloaded a few games and had a lot of fun with them; staying up late nights on that computer. Well, eventually I found a bunch of old computer parts in my garage and assembled them to form a new computer. I again came back to this site to download more games. And before too long at all, DOS became my favorite platform.

I found DGF one day by looking for more games to download, and saw a link to the forums. So I signed up and everything, joined the IRC channel, ect. And here I am today! :)

So, Google search.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

I Don't even remember... I came right near the end of the old iB days...

OH WAIT!!! I needed help getting Last Half of Darkness working. lol. As for how I found the main site, I totally don't remember.
Check-Mate
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush

Post by Check-Mate »

My brother directed me to dosgames.com and after a little while i started looking for a place to ask some questions about a game.
I think it was about Space Quest II.
SO I found the forum link.
Ta da.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Was looking for an old game, a friend (internet one) told me to look here.
Don't even remember what game it was.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Darren reffered me to the forum when he started hosting dgo, and because dgo was becoming a member of the DOS Games Network, Erik and I registered, although Erik never posts much..
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

I think it might have been a google search for the best dos video card that found a past here. Way back when there were hardware topics here.
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

It was when the boards were on Sitegadgets, or whereever a few years ago. Saw a link on the front page, and decided to give it a go.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

<strike>Must... Stop... Posting... on.... DGF! :shifty: </strike>

Must... Kill!... WORMIE!!!....
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
lakerzz8
~Lakerz~Fan~

Post by lakerzz8 »

I remember googling games or free games or something along those lines. And then I came here. I downloaded a few games and then saw the Ikonboard forums. Joined those, then was one of the first to register here on phpBB and then a couple of bans and 1 name change later, here I am.

EDIT: I was the 6th user to join this forum and one of the 9 that joined on the same day as it was created.
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by cyb3r.god3 »

i was searching for something then i just stumbled here
One time I had a Jack and coke and it had a lime in it, And I saw that the lime was floating. That's good news man. Next time I'm on a boat and it capsizes, I'll reach for a lime... I'll be water skiing without a life preserver and people'll say 'What the hell?' and I'll pull out a lime...and a lemon too. I'm saved by the buoyancy of citrus.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

lakerzz8 wrote:I remember googling games or free games or something along those lines. And then I came here. I downloaded a few games and then saw the Ikonboard forums. Joined those, then was one of the first to register here on phpBB and then a couple of bans and 1 name change later, here I am.

EDIT: I was the 6th user to join this forum and one of the 9 that joined on the same day as it was created.
I see you're reppin' the old name again. lol. sweet.
Guated

Post by Guated »

I've ran into this forum several times. Sometimes they have good tips. I'm in desprate need of assistance so decided to start trolling this forum. =) Decided to leave knowledge of my own discoverys i've found over the years for games that were familure.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

welcome!
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Well the story goes, one day back near the end of high school I was bored and being that I liked both DOS games and forums I thought to myself “Hey a DOS gaming forum would be cool” so I punched “DOS games forum” into Google... the rest is history. :P
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

Well it took me some time before i realised that dosgames.com had a forum,LOL,i like downloaded games for two moths from the site,and i was strolling around when i saw a link "discussion forum",like WTH is this,so i came here and reistered,and so it began.
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?