UFO - XCOM interesting question

Ask for help with playing games, or post your own tips and strategies.
alban lusitanae

UFO - XCOM interesting question

Post by alban lusitanae »

How many of you guys that ended UFO actually ended X-COM?
That's because I see many people tell me they finished the first but couldn't be arsed to end the second...
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV shall be fought with sticks and rocks..."
alban lusitanae

Post by alban lusitanae »

Mods, can you please delete the topic, since no one cares? Thx :)
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV shall be fought with sticks and rocks..."
Italian X-Commander

Post by Italian X-Commander »

I heard of some players that can't reach the end of the gam becouse of a bug in reserch...

Italian X-Commander
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Well Since none deleted this.... I FINISHD BOTH enemy unknown and terror from the deep
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Finished both, not really a challenge once you get the hang of it, but the games are still great fun to play.

And Larry Laffer, for future reference, check the date of the last post in threads before replying.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Baobab

Post by Baobab »

The first two games are some of the greatest games ever made, imho. So threads about X-Com should never be deleted! :love:

So yes! I have finished them both.
The third installment was crap though, so that I never played more than a few minutes of a buddys copy.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

[since I already revived this thread once... Ah never mind :laugh: ]

Old threads are not deleted on this forum. They are just left to die without people reviving them if they have nothing interesting to say(and if it's off-topic)
<center>
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Baobab

Post by Baobab »

Well I guess thats what I meant. Locked and forgotten about.

Anyhoo, seeing this thread a week ago got me inspired so I dug up both games and started them again! Finished UFO defence again just a day or two ago... still great fun.
However, sitting down again with the X-Com games are not the smartest thing to do during mid-terms though... :shifty:
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Hmm here's a good idea... there was this X-COM game that could be played over the internet right?

Howbout you and me, one on one?
<center>
</center>

Baobab

Post by Baobab »

I think there is something like it, but isn´t it a play by email modification? Email games are a little slow for my taste... :cuccoan:
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Dunno! I believe it was an old expansion pack for X-COM Enemy Unknown! But I have a windows-presuming-to-be-playeble-on-the-net version around here but I didn't install it yet.

But if it IS play by email... that sucks. There goes all the action in the game! And it would be VERY hard. I mean, enter the game, go to Multyplayer, load the game, send the email, close the game, wait a week. Thus I think it's instant playing!
<center>
</center>

Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/
Here's a fan-game made for multiplayer only. It's really a good way to test your skills against other players. If you're in let me know ok?
<center>
</center>

The_Sinister_Mastermind

It's not multi-only, but it's the only X-com game where you can play multi.

I posted a topic about it awhile back asking if anyone wanted go a few rounds against me, sadly wasn't much interest. I thought about joining the development team but I’ve got too much other stuff going on and these days there’s not much left to do with the project.

And as for the third, I never quite worked it out. It won’t work on my Win98 machine and it seems a bit buggy on XP. All the X-Com games have traditionally had a steep learning curve - which is a big part of their appeal, games you can complete in a weekend aren’t that much fun and have little reply value - but I just couldn’t get X-com 3. But I think it was bugged as it just didn’t seem right.

Oh well, the first was pure gold, the second really should have just been released as an expansion for the first, but even on it’s own it was great... Sadly, everything went downhill from then on, it started with Interceptor and I think the latest utter fuck up was UFO: Aftershock which had oh so much potential to be something great, something to rival the original game, but, history repeated itself and they failed miserably.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Aftershock? That wasn't the utter fuck up... the FPS game was the utter fuck up... But I don't remember the name right now....
<center>
</center>

The_Sinister_Mastermind

No I think you'll find while it had some cool points, Aftershock was largely underdone.

And I think the FPS was called Enforcer or something.

Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Maybe you're right but I only played Enforcer(yeah that's it) for 2 hours and Aftershock... well I never played Aftershock! :P

But come on at least Aftershock seems to follow the old storyline not the stupid "You're a HUGE robot, you fight other robots for no reason whatsoever, wich BTW were planted by aliens..."
<center>
</center>

The_Sinister_Mastermind

Well we can always cross our fingers and hope for a better game next time around right?

Actually, fuck that, I'm going to go play X-Com: Enemy Unknown, who needs a new game when the original is perfect? :P

Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Agree with you once again... tell me something, is there a cheat or hack for X-Com: Enemy Unknown that would give you a shit-load of money?(as in 100 billion$)
Cuz the first time I played it... it had a saved game including just one base, no development and that huge sum of money.
<center>
</center>