Death Rally Windows XP

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
hjuman

please

Post by hjuman »

I'm use command"/w".
but it is rerally slow.
when i have computer who have windows 95 and ms-dos the game was faster.
what can i do to play game in normal speed.
dos or something where can i download programm for this.
please answer in a post or e-mail [email protected]
franpa
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by franpa »

dosbox

use the above link to download dosbox.
Intel Core2 DUO e6750 @ 2.66GHZ
Asus P5KC Mother Board
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
2 Gigabytes DDR2 800 RAM Dual Channel
500 Gigabytes SATA2 Hard Disk
Creative X-FI Extreme Music
BFG Geforce 8800gt 512mb PCI-E (OC1)
Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply
Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case.

Click here to download 'Milo The Fuel Run'. [More Information.]
Ranguvar

Post by Ranguvar »

Death Rally is incompatible with DOSBox. A pity, I love it very much. I just got an old secondhand notebook that has Win98SE on it, that runs it fine, I upgraded to WinME and it even works then. that looks like ur best bet.
guile87norway

Death rally is somthing problematic to get to work on any pc

Post by guile87norway »

I've been stribing for days. I have A allright pc, with newer cards and OS - its XP pro. And this game, DEath rally, i find it quite fun. So i wanted to make it work, last time i played it on a 233mhz p2 pc. But now it was so difficuilt to make it work.
I first made multiboot with Win98se and winXP pro. So it worked almost good enough in 98se. there was a problem with sound and a problem with graphic card. there was a problem with everything anyway, just to get this baby going.

The point about Death Rally is - you have to have an old pc, or old cards and devices. The older, the better. If you have a new OS, and new powerful graphic card and soundcard, then you have to start trying to make the game work with emulators, but thats not gonna fix everything, i think.

The main reason why I wanted to play death rally was cause i was just putting up some LAN network play with friends. So the game is at first just great just as it is. It needs no changing. Its great, the game.

So.. anyway, I had to go to Novell.com to download "THE" IPX protocol. cause Novell was the founder of IPX or something like that. and a lot of those classic tresured games are based on IPX, and the old stuff, is more complicated to make it work. Now we just use the Microsoft-network-protocols or something to make a LAN work - on newer games. But, on older games, you have to work for days and nights to get wiser and just find out what you're gonna have to do to make those games work - especially on LAN, which i think is really fun.

I'm saying that there are lots of geat games for DOS, better games than newer games today. So I'm wondering why we or someone Remaster those great games. So that they will function on newer computers and OS'es

you know, to make death rally work on my pc, I had to:

install windows 98se
find an old soundblaster card and install it in my pc
find an old piece of graphics card and install it
and install IPX-protocols for LAN-play

The best to make death rally function, is to find an old pc
pentium 2, 233mhz, 128mb ram, soundblaster awe16 soundcard, graphics card not better or newer than 16mb (32mb is maybe ok)

Just pick up the old family pc and play death rally on it, find together 4 old pc's and put them together in a room, and then you can play lan. I just got to test death rally on 2 pc's. It worked well on the LAN.

but i would be happier if "they"(who will that be, anyway?) would make a newer remastered version of a selected number of DOS-games which are of teh most difficult to make function in modern today - to take those old great gameplay-games - and remaster them to work today. I've been sitting for a couple of days trying to make that great game Death rally to work, with sound, on LAN - complete - but it's always a new problem that accours - it seems like that.

I have to dissconect my geforce 4 MMX (64mb) card everytime i wanna play deathrally so that the pc will recocnice the voodoo 4 4500 (32mb) graph card i have put on a PCI-slot. then it's working about perfect, In win98se, with an old soundblaster card i had to find and install, and... yeah, its crazy - this- well, maybe it should have been a little bit easies to play great games. There are a lot of not so good games that are made today, with lots of graphics and lots of possibilities.
But again - I often find siple things fun. super bomberman 3 - thats my greatest multiplayer game-with-friends-play. warcraft 1 is fun. I think that warcraft 3 is to difficult, too much. war1 is more bacic, simple. Bomberman is too. and death rally. Jones in the fast lane - thats gameplay you have to search hard for.
I don't know but basically i find those games designed for playing with friends are much more fun. thats why i like LAN.
..pretty much off track, heh..

Hey, oldgames-fans: lets give some money or something, or give some effort for making remasterings of games like warcraft 1, bomberman, death rally.. - so that it will get easier and sometimes POSSIBLE to play those great games. some games are so immpossible to play on newer pcs that folks wont ever get the chance. why cant they remaster? sequels often suck. so if they'd remaster, they'd keep all of the original. the reason thy they chance things is cause we're not happy with what was.
hey! lets be happy! yo!

goodbye, too much to be said, better leave it half.
Crash_

Re: Death rally is somthing problematic to get to work on an

Post by Crash_ »

guile87norway wrote: I have to dissconect my geforce 4 MMX (64mb) card everytime i wanna play deathrally so that the pc will recocnice the voodoo 4 4500 (32mb) graph card i have put on a PCI-slot.
I think you don't need to disconnect geforce, just go to bios and change "init display adapter first" from "agp" to "pci", that should do the trick.

Sound emulating you can propably do without old soundblaster, for example with that WDM? (how was it spelled?) thing someone mentioned in this forum.

Still this seems to need old windows. I just can't make the game run smoothly in windows xp. Not even with dosbox. I'm too lazy to try exact version of dosbox someone mentioned. Does it really make this game work on xp?
AnimeMasta

Post by AnimeMasta »

deeze wrote:Hi guys.
I've P4 2,4 GHz Radeon 9000PRO SB Live! Win XP SP2
I made the game work properly on DOSBox. It runs smoothly and whatever (after just changing cpu speed).

BUT. Is there any possibility I can get the sound to work properly? The thing is that when I start the game or start a race, the music starts to play for about 2 sec. then starts to fail (the game still running but w/out no sound).
I tried with VDMSound but the thing is not there for sure because the sound did this without it anyways!

So my question is: is there any possibility to run a sound w/DR
Im hacing exactly the same problem as this guy, im using dosbox and evreything runs fine exept for the sound which i can hear for about 2 secs then it stops! help please
AnimeMasta

Post by AnimeMasta »

Ok i know how to fix it! all you do is set the frame skip to 3 in config :) that is if your sound is working but its jumpy
AnimeMasta

Post by AnimeMasta »

Ug im an idiot there one more thing... the game runs fine but when i go to start racing it says insert disc although i have the disc in the cd rom :S Is there a way to make dosbox find the disc or something
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

write mount d D:\ -t cdrom
if d:\ is your CD-ROM
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
AnimeMasta

Post by AnimeMasta »

Ok, about time i registered ^_^

I put in what you said, it definately is trying to use the CD because i can hear it being read, but it still tells me to insert the disc :(

What is wrong now? This is a pic of what I put in my DosBox config.

Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

hmmm.... I'm not realy sure... Old Dos Games on CDs had Copy Protection????

This one realy is beyond me.
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Markus

sound begining

Post by Markus »

Well i finally got my death rally working but the sound only plays for a few seconds at the begining and then cuts out. Is there a way to get it to keep the sound for the whole game?

Post by Guest »

Finally I got the game to work, but now it goes to fast! how do I fix that? and also, how do i maximize the window? I´m playing in a small window right now.
AnimeMasta

Post by AnimeMasta »

Hey guest how did you get it to work?
lada

Post by lada »

Alt,enter is to go in to a big screen and how is the game running too fast on your computer yet too slowly on mine
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

The game crashes after a while.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
yuppaT

DRALLY!! Cant make it work properly

Post by yuppaT »

A small set of problems
1. run too slow with out that /w command and too fast with it.
2. Can see the garage screen so cant update the carthat screen is alway some what scrambled chit.
can any one help
i have P4,Win XP and some other basic stuff on the PC.
NBA Jam

Post by NBA Jam »

I bought this game when I was little so I have the CD. The damn thing is even if I did get it to play I need to put the CD in all the time to play it.

Post by Guest »

when i try to install this game, it says i dont have enough memory and should have at least 8mb, then all i can do is exit.

ofcourse i have a pc with somewhat more then 8mb so i wonder if anybody could tell me how i can fix this.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:when i try to install this game, it says i dont have enough memory and should have at least 8mb, then all i can do is exit.

ofcourse i have a pc with somewhat more then 8mb so i wonder if anybody could tell me how i can fix this.
had the same problem,
just install the game via DOSbox.