Flash movie: Back to the start Mario

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Bravo emmzee! These comments are wonderful, but I have to say there aren't many coldplay fans there as I thought there would be lol :D

Thanks!
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Wally suggested to submit it to albinoblacksheep.com, which I have done. I also was going to submit it to eBaumsWorld.com, but the "agreement" kinda put me off ... Steve if you want to submit it there, here's the site:

http://upload.ebaumsworld.com/

Just make sure you read the agreement first so you know what you'd be agreeing to :)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

KING OF DOUBLE POSTS

Ahem. The albinoblacksheep guy responded:
<i>"The animation is great. This can be one of the most memorable sprite movies. Is the author willing to add a "hosted by" link to ABS at the end of the flash? You may have noticed this is something asked for all recent submissions."</i>

I think he just wants a link like you see on the other flash, on the albinoblacksheep.com front page. So if you wanna do that it sounds like he'll post it :thumbsup: Its a pretty popular site.

Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I've been on Nintendo Forums whenever I'm on the computer, reading, posting, getting my rank up in the newbie forum, trying to get thread creation access. Isn't there anyone else that has access to those forums already?

Going from all the replies we've gotten from your movie so far, I'd reccomend a couple things. Firstly, a lot of people thought the text at the end lowered the overall quality of the movie. I personally liked it, but maybe you could take out all the text except for the "Or is there a better way?" at the very end. Keep the suspension of reality. (Which is absolutely critical for short pieces)

Secondly, I'd highly reccomend that either you, or some unfortunate bastard you can bribe, work to make Laughing Games a real website, not just a Yahoo group. I don't have much experience with web design, but I'd be willing to help over the next couple weeks if you need anything. I'm sure Jorrit or Emmzee would host you (for a while at least), and some of the posters here (Kazer0, for example) are pretty talented with computer art and skins and whatnot. Registering a domain would be the worst part, but, depending on how much traffic you get, you might be able to make it up with ads.

Just a couple random thoughts. Keep on making more Flash animations, btw!
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Ah Dogbreath, you wouldn't believe for the longest time how afraid I was to post that last bit of text there myself. I initially wanted to make it into every other Flash sprite movie, with Mario coming back, the Goomba coming back to life, the princess blah blah blah and end it saying some common line, but suddenly I got this idea to make it totally different from ANY other sprite movie, and put a piece of my own self into it by revealing to a sudden reality, just to make sure people didn't take it for granted, and, even if some don't aprove of it, they will remember it. Yes I agree, there WILL be a few here and there that would think this was too political, and even some websites like www.pushthebuttons.com, www.flashplayer.com etc. have rejected this movie for that, but I am willing to sacrifice all that for the pure fact of enlightening people from the devestation of war in my simplest humble way. Without the final words, I feel by own artistic integrety, that the movie would become shallow and meaningless. Thank you for your suggestion though. As long as you liked it, don't bother about what other people think. That principle alone would save this world from sooooo many stereotypical art ALWAYS trying to please the crowd with age old formulas :rolleyes:

Also the amount controversy created by this movie on the opinions and views are concerned amuses me greatly. But I am working on an alternate ending for this which will have the entire message done in Flash sprites itself.

The old Steve will be back soon with some meaningless harmless crazy wacky Game adventures soon enough. :thumbsup: Trust me, NONE of the Flash movies I make here after will ever be like this daring, that's why I like to keep this one as daring as possible ;) The final message gives power I think to the whole movie.

As for the Yahoo Group page yeah I'm a lazy bastard :P but hey it helps me keep a track of my members, page views and stuff.

My friend and I are trying to build a website soon. He's in UK at the moment busy with some other projects but soon we are hoping to build a totally Flash based website, with a sexy hostess cartoon that guides you around. I've already registered the domain name www.laughinggames.com almost a year ago, and have been forwarding the URL to the Yahoo Group.

Also I am about to take the plunge and submit my Flash to Albinosheep, and Ebaumsworld. Also a whole lot of members from Flashplayer forums are offering to host my movie on their servers.
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Chances are Ebaumsworld has already seen it, stolen it, relabelled it, and passed it off as their own work...

On a slightly related note, I was in the car this morning driving to a job interview type thingy in Penrith and that Coldplay song came on the radio, which reminded me of your flash, which also reminded me I haven’t posted it anywhere yet. :P I mainly hang around at 3 other forums aside from this one.

One of them is full of random funny stupid people, not sure how it’ll be received there. Another is a pretty respectable community that has some 50 odd regulars and it’ll probably get a good response there. And the final one has about 20k users so there’ll probably be a mixed response, I’ll let you know, when I actually post it, not sure when that’ll be though, I might wait until you get that alternate ending so I can link people to both.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Done. I've uploaded the Flash .swf file with albinoblacksheep's banner and link to his website, uploaded to his temporary server at

http://abs.gprime.net/1albinobacktothestartmario.swf

and sent the owner a PM about it in the forums. Emmzee if you could inform him about it that would be gr8! :thumbsup:

Also to note some changes other than adding Albinoblacksheep banner was slightly adjusting the lip sync and leg movement in Mario's 3-D walk back, making the Dos Games Forums banner in the credits section into a link, and MOST importantly making the letters of The_Sinister_Mastermind with a capital 'S' and 'M', and added Emmzee with a small 'e' instead lol :laugh:
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

lol nice. Well the ABS guy responded pretty fast to my PM, so he'll prolly respond pretty quickly to yours too.

Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Yup! He's really is quick! (phew) I'd hardly pushed the submit message button when (ping) You've got a NEW message! Amazing guy! Anywayz here's what he replied

"Sorry about my vacation response. I added it last night to my email because I will be on a plane soon.

I plan to add your movie tonight for the June 2 update.

This file is really great considering it's your first sprite movie.

After your movie is posted, feel free to start a topic in the "ABS News and Updates" section of the forum so people can comment on your file, and feel free to leave comments in other movies' topics."

So yup, it WILL be up there soon.

Speaking of websites, after Dogbreath's suggestions to start one of my own, I am interested starting one myself, I mean other than freeservers, geocities and stuff. I have a domain name already, and have found this one to be highly recommended.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hostin ... _lf=Static

I'm very confused which one to start with. Also what is the difference between getting a server and getting Hosting space? Also if I DO spend money to get some space for my Flash movies and stuff, where can I find advertisements to compensate for my costs? I dunno I'm just really confused. I don't know much about this. I just wanna make Flash movies and have some place other than Yahoo groups to easily manage and upload from time to time.

Also the domain name is from another company and this one is different. Will that be a problem?
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Steve, I'd be willing to host your site/domain for you if you want, free of course ;) I used to host Jorris for free for awhile after all, it doesn't cost me anything to host other sites, considering that I have lots of extra bandwidth :D You'd just have to switch your domain's nameservers to point to my host. Send me an email or PM if you're interested and I'll set up an account and we'll get the domain setup, etc.

FWIW, I would not go with 1and1 if you choose to go the paid route. There are better hosts out there. I happened to do research on them a few months ago for one of my dad's clients:

http://www.webhostingunleashed.com/revi ... eviews.htm

The one I ended up recommending was:

http://www.webhostingunleashed.com/revi ... eviews.htm

Of course, why pay when you can get it for free? :angel:

Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Cool thanks! I may juuust take you up on that offer :love:

Btw, 'Back To the Start Mario' has made front page!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/

Aaaand this is the 50th post in this topic! What a coincidence!!! :o not :suspicious:
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Wow! I knew ABS would accept it :)
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I've posted your flash on the G4 forums and the CivFanatic forums. I'll paste some of the replies here as they come in. Really, it'd make my dreams come true if your flash was on The Screen Savers or something.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Here are a couple of the replies:
It's... unique. And kind of trippy. Although the political message at the end ruins the atmosphere.
It's Great!
And the message at the end makes it all that much more worthwile.
Ha!
I love the running in ciricles part.
Nice message at the end.
IMHO the message at the end would be better with examples less obvious than Hitler and bin Laden. But it gets WillJ's seal of approval!* (which is of course all that really matters in this world)
That was... bizarre. I think it would make more sense if I played Mario.
It was very good, and the song was fitting too
Didn't see the ending coming at all. I was expecting a funny ending like most flash movies.
I like it
I dont get it. But it goes pretty cool with the music.
*After WillJ gave it his official seal of approval, I asked him if he had a jpeg of the seal, and he spent waay too much time actually creating one. (Click <a href=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1 ... if>here</a> to see it)

Another member started working on a transparent version (<a href=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1 ... if>here</a>), but it isn't flawless yet.

Anyway, you'd make will really happy if you added his seal of approval to your movie next time you edit it. :) (Dunno if you want to finish transparentizing it first, or wait for it to be completed by someone else)
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Hmm you know what would be even better..

Seeing we have done stuff for steve chris a lot, maybe have his usergroup on this forum , which then we might get more traffic too.

*shrugs* just an idea
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Omigosh! Not THE WillJ!! :o

Er... forgive me for my blunt ignorance of the Internet world, but who exactly is WillJ and why does he want his seal of approval on this movie again? :huh:

Anywayz, I'd be happy to do it. I just have to import the picture into Flash, convert it into a movie clip and reduce the Alpha using my mouse pointer (VERY technical stuff :P ) I can even make his 'Seal of Approval' into a link to his site if he wants, all he has to do is upload it into his server, or just wait till I change the Newgrounds one, cuz really I can't bother poor Jorrit and emmzee each time I need to add someone's logo on it right :laugh:

Btw Wally, before I can get a usergroup, or have emmzee host my site on his server I was thinking of making more Game Movies first, so then I'd have like a collection for users to browse through. Until then this'll do just fine :jester:
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

You've already got 2-3 movies around don't you?

Just host them: make about 4-5 HTML pages to support them. I can personally say, Emmzee's help was great for my programming: he helped me find a good game development package then offered a great idea for web hosting (www.pyrogame.com).
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Thanks for your suggestion. Hmm... maybe the Godfather can help me as well! :upset:

Btw I downloaded your game 'Pyro' is it? Kinda interesting. The map selection really reminds me of Mario World. Does is have sound? What software/program did you use to make this?
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Steve Chris wrote:Omigosh! Not THE WillJ!! :o

Er... forgive me for my blunt ignorance of the Internet world, but who exactly is WillJ and why does he want his seal of approval on this movie again? :huh:

Anywayz, I'd be happy to do it. I just have to import the picture into Flash, convert it into a movie clip and reduce the Alpha using my mouse pointer (VERY technical stuff :P ) I can even make his 'Seal of Approval' into a link to his site if he wants, all he has to do is upload it into his server, or just wait till I change the Newgrounds one, cuz really I can't bother poor Jorrit and emmzee each time I need to add someone's logo on it right :laugh:
Ha ha, no he's just a random, very cool, and somewhat insane guy from Alabama who really likes your flash, and wanted to give it an official seal of appproval. He doesn't have a site or anything like that, just thought your movie need to be approved, that's all...
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Well I'd be happy to send him an .swf file if you could tell me his email perhaps. Btw I am getting quite a number of very personal applauding emails (well 5 to be exact) and it's very exciting! Some emails actually read like 'to the team of Laughing Games' cuz they were confused when I mentioned all of you in the credits lol :laugh: