Who is the best guitar player?

A forum for discussing television, movies, pop culture, celebrities, rock bands, and anything else along those lines.

x

x
26%
x
16%
x
16%
x
5%
x
21%
x
No votes
x
16%

Total votes: 19

The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

I still say Joe Satriani. :D
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by cyb3r.god3 »

The_Sinister_Mastermind wrote:You'd be lucky to get a decent guitar for that much.
hey mate... i got a preety good steel string accoustic for 160, nylon 80, electric 200 so...
and i found 2 good guitar players
HERMAN LI

and
SAM TOTMAN
One time I had a Jack and coke and it had a lime in it, And I saw that the lime was floating. That's good news man. Next time I'm on a boat and it capsizes, I'll reach for a lime... I'll be water skiing without a life preserver and people'll say 'What the hell?' and I'll pull out a lime...and a lemon too. I'm saved by the buoyancy of citrus.
The_Sinister_Mastermind

I saw Dragonforce live in concert 2 nights ago and I got to meet Herman Li in person before the gig. My mate who I went to the gig managed to get one of Sam's picks as well.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

I see someone else supports Joe Satriani! I saw him in concert a few weeks ago and let's just say that he was bloody amazing! He and the guitar are just one - it's so impressive to watch, but it's hard to play guitar after watching him, since you just feel so inadequate.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

Miyavi. He is very sexellent on the guitar.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by cyb3r.god3 »

The_Sinister_Mastermind wrote:I saw Dragonforce live in concert 2 nights ago and I got to meet Herman Li in person before the gig. My mate who I went to the gig managed to get one of Sam's picks as well.
is your friend named luke?
One time I had a Jack and coke and it had a lime in it, And I saw that the lime was floating. That's good news man. Next time I'm on a boat and it capsizes, I'll reach for a lime... I'll be water skiing without a life preserver and people'll say 'What the hell?' and I'll pull out a lime...and a lemon too. I'm saved by the buoyancy of citrus.
The_Sinister_Mastermind

Nope, his name is Andrew.
John The Ax wrote:I see someone else supports Joe Satriani! I saw him in concert a few weeks ago and let's just say that he was bloody amazing! He and the guitar are just one - it's so impressive to watch, but it's hard to play guitar after watching him, since you just feel so inadequate.
You lucky bastard, I'd love to see Satch live. But I know what you mean; it’d be hard to be pleased with one’s own playing after seeing the god of guitar himself rip it up.

cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by cyb3r.god3 »

k then

i want to go to dragonforce :laugh: but i didnt have money :(

is it true that sam kept snapping his picks
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Dragonforce is at this year's Ozzfest. Or so I'm told. I just listened to them for the first time today. They are INSANE! O_O They play....so.......fast!
Sustinendum Victoriam!
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by cyb3r.god3 »

they are at ozzfest
check wikipedia

and you havent seen them play o_0
The_Sinister_Mastermind

cyb3r.god3 wrote:k then

i want to go to dragonforce :laugh: but i didnt have money :(

is it true that sam kept snapping his picks
Not that I know of, I was on the left side of the mosh though, I.e. Herman’s side. But my mate ended up on the right side and he didn’t mention anything about Sam snapping picks. He was throwing picks into the crowd though.

And Wormy they're great like that, insanely fast with a great amount of technicality involved as well. My favourite album is still Sonic Firestorm but you should check out the following off Inhuman Rampage:

Through the Fire and Flames
Revolution Deathsquad
Operation Ground and Pound
Body Breakdown
Trail of Broken Hearts

Most of those tracks feature some great keyboard and guitar effects, along with the speed elements.

cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by cyb3r.god3 »

The_Sinister_Mastermind wrote: And Wormy they're great like that, insanely fast with a great amount of technicality involved as well. My favourite album is still Sonic Firestorm but you should check out the following off Inhuman Rampage:

Through the Fire and Flames

Revolution Deathsquad
Operation Ground and Pound
Body Breakdown
Trail of Broken Hearts

Most of those tracks feature some great keyboard and guitar effects, along with the speed elements.
YESS YESSS YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD
cyb3r.god3
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by cyb3r.god3 »

hahaha lol
i was on the train the other day and there were a large group of metalheads in the back and at one of the stops an emo walked in and... lets just say he is wiriting songs about pain
The_Sinister_Mastermind

AT LAST! An emo will actually have something to bitch about. :laugh:

John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

I see you're going to see Queensryche, Sinister. Are they doing their "Evening with Queensryche" tour in Australia, too, in which they play all of Operation: Mindcrime? If so, that concert is absolutely amazing, and you'll love it. It's good on album, but absolutely amazing live.

Satch live was unbelievable. It was a weird concert - on one hand, the music sort of gets boring after a while and you just want it to be over, but on the other you never want him to stop playing. It's so mesmerizing, and the man is so calm while his hands and fingers just fly up and down the guitar.

Chris Caffery, of Savatage and Trans-Siberian Orchestra, is an unbelievable. Not as good as Satch, but he benefits from being in a band with other instruments.

I've been hearing a lot about Dragonforce recently, for some odd reason. Have they been around a while and just on a massive tour now that everyone happens to be going to or are they pretty up-and-coming? I didn't think that they were a recent band, at any rate.

The_Sinister_Mastermind

From what I understand they’ll be playing Mindcrime I & II, I’m actually yet to hear Op: Mindcrime II but if it’s anything like Op: Mindcrime I, it’ll kick arse. I’m sure it’ll be a great night, I’m not too keen on the venue it’s at though, but shit, not that many decent gigs come my way so I’ll take whatever I can get wherever I can get it.

And yeah I’ve heard that about Satch, he’s an amazing player, and like you said a memorising one. But he just stands there, if he were to come down here he’d probably play at the entertainment centre anyway, so that’s not so bad as you’d be seated, it’s not really the kind of show where you’d mosh to the music anyway. When I go to a show, I want to see a show (Pun not intended), but that’s just me. I like lights, explosions, smoke, fireworks, the whole shebang. I’m forking over often in excess of $50, I expect to be entertained.

I hadn’t heard of Chris Caffery before, but I’ll have to add him to my list of artists to check out. And since we’re making recommendations, might I suggest some of the following:
Mattias “IA” Eklundh (Check out Freak Guitar: The Road Less Travelled, or anything by Freak Kitchen)
Kiko Loureiro (From Angra, but check out his solo album No Gravity)
And anything by the: Buckethead, Gary Hoey, Michael Angelo Batio, Neal Schon and lastly Rusty Cooley. :D

As for DragonForce, in a sense they’re still up and coming. I was listening to them back when still no body knew of them, but believe it or not they’ve actually been around for about 7 years now. However they’re really only just starting to get widely known now. If you like DragonForce you should check out Power Quest that was formed by a few ex-DragonForce members. It’s no where near as good, but it’s not 1/2 bad, though a little generic.

John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Though I haven't heard OpMCII, I understand that it isn't nearly as good as the original. However, the concert of the original is really awesome, and both together would be pretty cool. Hopefully Trans-Siberian Orchestra will go on a world tour at some point - if you like shiny concerts, they very likely have the most lights and fire out of any band ever. Seriously, if you seizure easily, avoid their concerts. There's nothing like a wall of hundreds of flashing lights to melt your mind. They're unbelievably awesome - nothing like a full string section and a huge metal band combined into symphonic greatness. Check out the album Beethoven's Last Night, or the Savatage album Dead Winter Dead for an idea of their sound.

Also, Chris Caffery has some solo albums. Check out chriscaffery.com, and they're on Napster, which means you can listen for free.

The_Sinister_Mastermind

Yeah I was talking to a guy from another forum I go to on IRC this morning and he saw the OpMCI show twice last year, said it was awesome. As for the lights and all that, schweet, sounds like my kind of gig then. And hey, who doesn't like a seizure every now and then?

I hope they do bring an entire string section, that'd be awesome and damn impressive. It'd be even better if Dio toured with them as well, but from what I hear he doesn't plan to, oh well, I’m not sure who’ll play Dr. X, but so long as they get someone decent or maybe even use a big screen it’ll be ok.

After looking up 'Beethoven's Last Night' I'll definitely be checking it out, and if that's your kind of thing, might I suggest you check out Into the Electric Castle or The Final Experiment by Ayreon.

And haha Napster, oh I remember back in the day, using ol' Napster on my dial-up connection, but I was under the impression Napster was a subscriber only service these days? Meh, there's always torrents and/or LimeWire.

John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

TSO is the ones with the strings, sorry that my parenthetical deficiency messed you up there. Still, the OpM show is amazing, and there's plenty of lights and stuff. It's almost done in more of the style of a play than a concert, which is really cool, but as you know it makes a lot of sense.

Also, Napster is subscriber-only, but they launched "Free Napster" or whatever they call it, in which you can listen to a song five times for free. It makes finding new music and sampling quite easy, and it's a lot faster and more reliable than filesharing, though that would be the better solution for actual music pirating. It's a pretty nice thing to have around.

I remember ol' Napster, too. Ah, the fun of waiting two hours to download some music in 64kbps encoding, all because of the speed (or lack thereof) of dialup. Thank God for cable modems. Every time my internet's slow, I just think "Hey, eight years ago I was on a 56k modem... Think how long everything took!"

I use Soulseek for pirating music, though I really don't do it very much. I prefer buying used CDs.

The_Sinister_Mastermind

No I figured that’s who you were talking about these guys right? And yeah I can imagine that it would be more of a play, I haven’t heard any one call OpMC a rock opera before, but really, that’s what it is in a sense. It should be a great show, I can’t wait. Hopefully there will be some other decent shows in the mean time, though the chances are slim. We get really ripped off in the way of good gigs down here.

That sampling thing with free-Napster sounds pretty good, I might have to check that out some time. Most of the time though it probably won’t make too much of a difference to me as I get a lot of recommendations from friends who I have similar taste in music with and there’s always last.fm.

Ah yes back in the day, I’d usually set it up to download one track after the other and leave it running all night. Because it was in the days of dial up and we didn’t have two phone lines I could only leave it running late at night and have to turn it off when I got up in the morning. Man it took ages to get anything back then. I bitch about my current connection a lot, though really I shouldn’t. Most days I’m days I’m doing in excess of 500MB of data transfer, some days I top out over a gig or more. And for me it’s not even 8 years ago, 8 months ago I was still on dial up... Hrm maybe not 8 months, maybe 9 or 10, but the point still stands.

I never really got into SoulSeek, I’ve always been able to find most of what I want on torrents and LimeWire. The only time SoulSeek has come in handy for me is when looking for really obscure and rare stuff like Heol Telwen or Mael Mórdha.