Lack of creativity when creating a game

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.

New Win Games original 100%

Yes
50%
Nope
50%

Total votes: 6

Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Lack of creativity when creating a game

Post by Larry Laffer »

Nowadays all games are based on a book, movie, or on an old dos game don't U think?

Reedited:
To me Sequels and MODs are NOT original 100%
(Fine they have something new but they don't start from scratch)

Kaizer O________________Happy Now :huh:
Last edited by Larry Laffer on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Let the horses think, Larry, their head is bigger.
Vangar
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Vangar »

No. Most games are still original in their own way. Just wait for something new every few years ;).
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Umm what? Larry Laffer maybe you're unaware just how many games are based on the things you mentioned, I can barely think of 10 recent games that fit the categories you mentioned, but I could probably name 20+ games that are original.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
HappyHarvick29
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by HappyHarvick29 »

The_Sinister_Mastermind wrote:Umm what? Larry Laffer maybe you're unaware just how many games are based on the things you mentioned, I can barely think of 10 recent games that fit the categories you mentioned, but I could probably name 20+ games that are original.
Agreed, and I like it that way. I'd rather play a game where the story line isn't based off something else. MGS for example, no idea where that story is gonna go, but when you get a game based off a movie, it just takes away a bit of the suprise.

Mind you, the Matrix game managed to add to the storyline of the movie, allowing you to see the events from different perspectives, even if the game itself was meh.
The demon soars through dark skies
Fear and death trail the shadow beneath
Until men united wield hallowed saber
In final reckoning, the beast is slain.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Counter strike is a movie? Day of defeat is a movie? Doom III is a movie (Well it is NOW, AFTER the game) Half-Life 2 is a movie? Halo 2?
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Gah, made a fool of myself. Doom III is based of a Dos Game. Drat.
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

It is? Where can I download DOS Doom?

I actually agree, more and more modern games are based off movies (Matrix, Kong, and a few hundred LOTR games for example). However, the games are usually separate enough for it not to matter. Its not like a game from a movie is worse than a unique idea (though I can't think of a single example of a good game based on a movie).

The big concern is movies based off games. They have all been total flops, and Halo movie will definitely follow suit. I have had arguments with enough people: who say Peter Jackson can save it. I really doubt it will be better than an episode of Red vs Blue (if you don't know what it is, I pity you :P ).
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

Dosser wrote:I actually agree, more and more modern games are based off movies (Matrix, Kong, and a few hundred LOTR games for example). However, the games are usually separate enough for it not to matter. Its not like a game from a movie is worse than a unique idea (though I can't think of a single example of a good game based on a movie).
Companies like to cash in on what's hot. This has been like this since the first big video game boom. If there's a popular movie, they're going to want to make a game on it. However, most of the time, the companies are in the US, who are notorious for making crappy games. And with licensing fees, money is diverted from the game development. Big example is this game, one of the biggest reasons for the video game crash of the early '80s.
The only good game that's based off a movie that I know of is Goldeneye. That game was fun.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

Oh yeah, forgot Goldeneye.

That thing was just plain amazing.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Disclaimer... I meajnt popular games... the ones that get to be advertised everywhere (well at least here in Romania)

oh and it's a nice majority 3 against 2 :jester:

Dosraider... R U still hacked off at me for calling U a jerk???? because I already said I'm Sorry. Do U want an official post with that message because I'll do that too if U want it. Again sorry I had a bad morning
<center>
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Dosser wrote:It is? Where can I download DOS Doom?
http://www.dosgames.com/

No offence, but I think you just won the award for "dumbest question of the year." :laugh:
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Larry Laffer wrote:Disclaimer... I meajnt popular games... the ones that get to be advertised everywhere (well at least here in Romania)

oh and it's a nice majority 3 against 2 :jester:

Dosraider... R U still hacked off at me for calling U a jerk???? because I already said I'm Sorry. Do U want an official post with that message because I'll do that too if U want it. Again sorry I had a bad morning
Counterstrike, Daqy of Defeat, Half-Life 2, Half-Life. I like repeating myself, but those are the most played games in the world if you include World of Warcraft and Starcraft. Actually, now that I think about it, there arent ANY popular games based off a movie.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Re: Lack of creativity when creating a game

Post by Larry Laffer »

F**K the movie... I said:
Larry Laffer wrote:movie, OR AN old DOS game
WoW... Do I have to remind you the creation of Blizzard in '94
Called
Warcraft
Orcs Vs. Humans?

And ok just for arguments see the original post? I reedited it
<center>
</center>

Post by Guest »

no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

Dogbreath wrote:No offence, but I think you just won the award for "dumbest question of the year." :laugh:
I'm voting for this one:
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Good lord! *hides in corner* :huh:

That post *was* a joke, right? Comeon, please tell me you're joking... I'll sleep easier. :cry:
Vangar
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Vangar »

I wish some of you researched before you posted. Im not getting involved :P
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

Blizzard.. A company full of phonies. They DID rip off Age of Empires, with their little Warcraft trick... See, the company owns a time machine. What they did, was go into the future, and program a ripoff of Age of Empires, then go back in time, and sell it, as if it were original. A seethrough scheme. I also believe the moon landing was staged, there are aliens on earth, and that the attacks on the World Trade Center were planned by the US government.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Ok, ive changed my position after he changed the rules:

Counter-strike, Day of Defeat, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Halo, Starcraft, World of Warcraft (Is not a squel my friend, it isnt even the same TYPE of game. The onlyt thing they have thats similar is the name).