Display probs. with ascendency on laptop

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
WishboneDawn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Display probs. with ascendency on laptop

Post by WishboneDawn »

I have a friend who wants to play Ascendency on his laptop. When he tries he gets a screen full of colours and lines. He's mentioned a conflict with his video 'controller' (he's more oldschool then I am and uses some antiquated terms :)). Embarrassingly, I have no specs.

The games resolution is 640x480. Could his problems be some sort of conflict with his laptop's LCD screen's native resolution? I know nothing about LCD's.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

What OS ? If the laptop runs on XP or W2K try dosbox, as Ascendency isn't a highly demanding dosgame your friend could maybe run it through dosbox, even on a (usual) lesser performing laptop.
(You can also try using dosbox on W98, sometimes can help solving the screen problems on laptops -- yes dosbox runs in W98-- )

Another trick that can help is setting the screen resolution on 640X480 before running the game.

(If we are talking about the same 1995'dos Ascendency here?)
WishboneDawn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by WishboneDawn »

I know he's tried older versions on windows and possibly DOS, I'll ask again. I can't get any specs for the damn thing because it's being repaired at the moment.

And yep, it's that ascendency.
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

If it's a Win98 PC then there's a good chance you won't even need DOSBox to run it, but since you've mentioned it's having screen issues I'm going to assume it's an XP machine, there's a slim chance that there is an XP patch out there that'll fix up the screen problems. Otherwise the best bet is changing the screen res, using the compatibility wizard or trying out DOSBox.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>