PC Speaker or not?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.

Doest thou use PC Speaker effects?

Yeah, they're good.
31%
Why not. They don't bother me.
31%
I have to. I haven't a sound card or it doesn't work.
No votes
He** no! Horrible beeping!
38%

Total votes: 13

486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PC Speaker or not?

Post by 486 player »

They aren't bad. (Ok, in Elf Land and Jill of the Jungle.) Besides they're essential if sound card's effects are too quiet to hear.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Well I have mixed feelings on the issue. I never use to like them. But when the other speakers on my old computer broke and somehow killed the socket that you plug the speakers into. I had little else I could actually use on my PC, so I had no choice but to get use to it.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
CloudCobain
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CloudCobain »

I like the PC speaker as it gives me fond, fond memories. ^_^
Lack of iron and/or sleeping.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Hell no, horrible beeping! :D

I don't even have a PC speaker in my case.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Bah, PC Speakers, the bane of early games and motherboard POST messages ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I seem to recall one or more of the old Sound Blaster models had a PC Speaker input on them. It was just the pair of pins that you would connect to the motherboard front panel jack where the speaker would connect and then connect this to the SB card.

Now then, maybe this was an output jack, I can't really recall but if this was indeed an input jack, then you would at least be able to get much better sound quality out of anything that used the PC Speaker.
Suck it down!
franpa
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by franpa »

i smoked mine... for some reason whenever i turned my pc on tons of smoke poured out yet i had a picture on the screen... i opened it up turned on the computer and had a look inside... the pc speaker wire was glowing red hot... i turned off my coputer unplugged the pc speaker and unstuck the wire from other wires took it out of the pc and turned my pc back on... no smoke was happening and i cheered hooray and went back to playing games.

this is a true story, i was changing ram stick when this all occured.
Intel Core2 DUO e6750 @ 2.66GHZ
Asus P5KC Mother Board
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
2 Gigabytes DDR2 800 RAM Dual Channel
500 Gigabytes SATA2 Hard Disk
Creative X-FI Extreme Music
BFG Geforce 8800gt 512mb PCI-E (OC1)
Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply
Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case.

Click here to download 'Milo The Fuel Run'. [More Information.]

Post by Guest »

the beeping horrible kills me so bad :cry:
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

The only built in sound I can tolerate was the speaker found in the Tandy machines (I have a Tandy 1000HX PC Jr compatible type machine for the very old CGA and TGA games).

The only thing the PC speaker is good for is letting me know a newer machine is overheating or there is a problem on bootup (and boy do I hate figuring out what bios code beeps mean).
Swiftman
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Swiftman »

Eh, I didn't mind the PC Speaker when it was well implemented [Duke Nukem original or Commander Keen 1-3, anyone?] but other than that, it was good for telling me when things went wrong. If it was quieter, I would have been able to tolerate it much better.

I DO recall though, one level from Ken's Labrynth background music sounding way catchier on PC Speaker than on Adlib.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

I sometimes even have days when all sounds are played from Beeper or are complitely mute. :(
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

From your mention of PC speaker, I suppose you mean the internal speaker. The external speaker linked to sound card produces nice music & sound so it should not be a problem.

For the internal speaker, the sound gets from bad to worse with newer PCs. There were 2 games that I kept over the year and tried on all the newer PCs. The game, Hexavga, a columns clone has a very nice high pitch "preek" on Win 3.1 386 PC. Then on Win95 Pretium I, it sounded not as nice with "pick" sound. Then on Win Xp Pentium III, it is a low "thud" sound. The quality deteriorated. Proabably manufacterers think that with external speakers people do not need good internal speakers and most people do not bother about internal speakers. The internal speaker sound for Prince of Persia game also sound worse. Thankfully, there is the option for external speaker sound for that game. In addition, 3 cheers for Dosbox as it can emulate the internal speaker beeps to be closer to the orginal good quality internal speaker sound although still not as good.

If you have ever played old dos games with internal speaker bleeping sounds, you will notice the change in sound quality of the internal speakers.
The_Sinister_Mastermind

This is the one time where it pays to habe a laptop, as the only speakers you have are internal, and they're usually pretty good quality.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
The_Sinister_Mastermind

This is the one time where it pays to habe a laptop, as the only speakers you have are internal, and they're usually pretty good quality.

Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Sure it's Ok but only if conected to a sound card otherwise UHHHHHHHHHHHh
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

JKSM wrote: For the internal speaker, the sound gets from bad to worse with newer PCs. on Win Xp it is a low "thud" sound. The quality deteriorated. Dosbox can emulate the internal speaker beeps to be closer to the orginal good quality internal speaker sound although still not as good.

If you have ever played old dos games with internal speaker bleeping sounds, you will notice the change in sound quality of the internal speakers.
'cause they're played from sound card. XP doesn't have it. In Win 2000 machines it still exists, I've tried.
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

I've got mine disconnected.