I know it's not on the site, but I have to review it!

Add your own reviews of games here.
John The Ax

I know it's not on the site, but I have to review it!

Post by John The Ax »

What do you get when you combine "King's Quest" with a Steven Spielburg sci-fi story, mixing in excellent cut-scenes, beautiful sound, and character development? You'd probably get Lucasart's and Steven Spielburg's "The Dig". I just beat this game for the second time, and I enjoyed it just as much as the first.

Graphics: 10/10. Excellent graphics. The people in the game itself seem a bit pixely, but the cut-scenes have excellent animation. The landscape itself is very noteworthy, all of it is hand-drawn and cell-shaded. This process gave "The Dig" a realistic, beautiful landscape, fun to explore and stunning to view. The animations of machines and the landscapes are smoothly animated, as well as with the walking characters.

Sound:
Music: 10/10. Ambient, beautiful, the music perfectly sets the mood. I have never tired of the music, and around water, it sounds like water, around machines, it sounds like electronics, but it never sounds annoying.
Sound: 10/10. The voice-acting throughout the whole game is excellent, free of static and full of emotion.

Overall Sound: 10/10.

Plot: 10/10. It can be a bit cheesy at times, but generally it is excellent. Considering that this game had origins as a movie (but too expensive to produce), it had better be good. And it is. Basically, there's an asteroid about to collide with Earth. You, Commander Boston Low, and a team of two others go to the asteroid, plant explosives, and change its course. You then return to explore, and it gets interesting... An excellent plot with excellent character development shown through excellent cut-scenes and voice-acting.

Play Time: 8/10. It depends. Are you going to cheat and use an FAQ, or do it yourself? If you do it yourself, you may get stuck on certain puzzles for AGES. If you use one, it may take you a matter of days. If you use one for stuff like insanely hard puzzles, then it may take you a month, it depends on how good you are at games like this and how long you're willing to commit. It did seem a bit short, however.

Replayability: 10/10. The plot is so good you may want to play it again, over and over, just to enjoy it. There are no hidden surprises or any incentives to play again, but I never needed them. The plot sufficed for me.

Overall: 10/10. An excellent game, under-rated as it is. I would suggest buying this if you EVER find it, however it is a bit old now so you probably can't. Renting generally isn't an option with computer games, but if you can rent it, you can always copy it to your hard drive. This game is worth every penny.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Just a question: Is this a DOS game?
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Yep. DOS version, also a Window and a Mac version.

Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

can I download a shareware or demo?
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

No, I don't think there's a demo, and I can't send you the full version, it's 631 MB.

John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

WooHoo! This got on GameFAQ's! Great!