What is your favorite DOS game?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

To single a particular game as someone's favourite or best game would be unfair to the game. If someone likes RPG, then an RPG would end up as their favourite or if someone likes strategy games, then a startegy game would end up as their favourite. Games of different genre cannot be directly compared as they have different uniqueness and depends on individual preferences. It is like comparing apples to oranges. Thus I would categorise my dos game favourites according to categories.

Platform: Magic Pockets (Jumping/Shooting & special collectable items), Ugh! (Flying; manoevouring skill), Prince of Persia (Sword-fighting & jumping)

RPG: Questron II (interesting to figure out how the game works through exploration)

Text-based adventure: Fredrick Pohl's Gateway (space exploration adventure with puzzles; give you satisfaction if you can solve the difficult situations)

Puzzle: Pushover (dominoes with special properties), Brix (blocks, special items), Lemmings (real time rescue of people)

Pacman: CD-Man v2 (nice background, layout and item; something different from the classic kind of pacman)

Mini-golf: Zany Golf (unusual & full of surprises; how often do you see a hamburger jumping :D )

Break out: Arkanoid (unusual power-ups)

The above are some of my favourites. However, they may not be the best favourite of the category as some of my favourite of the category are those old Windows 3.1 or Win95 games.

If you like playing games in the above category but have not played those game mentioned above, why not take some time to try them. You are likely to like them. :)
Saq

Post by Saq »

i have lots of favourites, such as zork1,2,3 keen, duke nukem 1,2. And thats about all i can remember.
Games aren't boring, making them is...
Download me
--> http://www.armbell.com/forum/index.php? ... amingboard <-- my forum site.
Ig88

Post by Ig88 »

Rock on Ro@m!!!!!! Dark Forces Is sweet!!
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Anyone know where to get CD-Man v2.0? The only version that I have (and the one that is on DOSGames.com currently) is the pre-release version ... :(
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
fangorn

Post by fangorn »

One of the best dos games I have played is "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis". I also love the commander keen games and the Lord of the Rings game that Interplay published in 1991.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

emmzee wrote:Anyone know where to get CD-Man v2.0? The only version that I have (and the one that is on DOSGames.com currently) is the pre-release version ... :(
Beside underdogs, there are quite a number of sites that have version 2, take for eg, if you type "CD-man" in google, on the first page you can find one freeware site and 1 abandonware site that has that game. I'm surprise you never played version 2. I played it long time back, got it as one of the games on CD. You should not find any problems finding sites with that version 2. I find since a number of sites with it since the Company, Creative Dimension closed down quite some time back. I you don't like downloading, I can e-mail you my copy instead.
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

I really liked The Dig, and Commander Keen 4 is also excellent...

Honestly, I don't think I can pick a "favorite" dos game. I'm one of those people with constantly changing tastes, and there's tons of excellent games to choose from. OMF:2097 is one of the few fighting games I enjoy... ADOM is amazing, and DoomRL is also great.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

JKSM wrote:Beside underdogs, there are quite a number of sites that have version 2, take for eg, if you type "CD-man" in google, on the first page you can find one freeware site and 1 abandonware site that has that game. I'm surprise you never played version 2. I played it long time back, got it as one of the games on CD. You should not find any problems finding sites with that version 2. I find since a number of sites with it since the Company, Creative Dimension closed down quite some time back. I you don't like downloading, I can e-mail you my copy instead.
k, thanx ... I did visit a couple sites but none of 'em specified what version they were, so I figured it'd be easier to just ask ;) And of course, I neglected to check HOTU :shame:
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

emmzee wrote:k, thanx ... I did visit a couple sites but none of 'em specified what version they were, so I figured it'd be easier to just ask ;)
It's okay. :) Anyway, there'sone easy way to know. If you see a snoofer (white guy) in the screenshot picture it's version 2. The earlier version has a yellow pacman in it.
Imp_Killer

Post by Imp_Killer »

Quake or Wolfenstein 3D
Get Mirc.
sserega

Post by sserega »

Pirates
Master of Orion
Privater
http://www.amazedgames.com
ultimate game portal
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

Dune 2
Command Keen
D&D Curse Of The Azure Bonds
Monster Bash
Crystal Caves

... Oh right we're just meant to pick one ;).
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

Dune 2 is good.Spent hours and hours playing it!
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

It's still probably my favorite game, still play it all the time :D. Though by all the time I mean for 10-15 minutes here and there when I find time :cry:.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Keen

Post by Keen »

Doom
Night Raid
Commander Keen
Prince of Persia
Lethia

Post by Lethia »

Commander Keen, King's Quest, Wolfenstein, Doom, Alone in the Dark, and the text-based adventure games Humbug and Zork.
Postmaster Boyle

Post by Postmaster Boyle »

!! Harvester !!
Fate of atlantis
Dune 2
Full throttle
Warcraft 2
Redneck Rampage
C&C
200 mhz
32 mb ram
cirius logic