Can USB run under Windows 95? Yes, but how?

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Can USB run under Windows 95? Yes, but how?

Post by fabiobol »

I know that is possible to use the USB platform under Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and 2.5, by installing USBSUPP.exe.
I tried this, and the Opti USB- PCI device is correctly detected, but I still can't use any USB peripherals due to the incompatibility of the drivers. Can I find a way to use these peripherals also under Win 95? Aren't there any "modded" drivers? Please, help me! Windows 95 is for me still a good system, and I wouldn't like to change it!
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

You neeed Windows 95 C.

Windows 95 isnt a good system. (only for dosgames it is)

Use windows 95c.

Kapoot
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

Well, maybe Windows 95 A (absolutely first edition) is not such a good OS, but I tried Windows 95 4.00.950B (also known as Windows 95 with Microsoft Internet Explorer) and it ran very good from 1998 to 2002. I tried to install usbsupp.exe on Windows 95 4.00.950B and it ran, but the peripherals (like for example my Minolta F100 digital camera) were not detected correctly. If I change my OS and I use Windows 95C, could I use also USB devices designed for Windows 98? And... how can I recognise Windows 95C? Is it the version that has Microsoft Plus?
Wally

Post by Wally »

YOu should run windows Xp and then run 95 in virtual PC...
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

My PC is not sufficient for Windows XP, because has 64 MB RAM and a P200 MMX. I want to use it on Windows 95! I will try!
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

You maybe able to use a PCI-USB card, however, you will need to double check that the drivers actually support Win 95a.

My guess is that they will indeed require Win 95 Release 2.1 or later however ;)
Suck it down!
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

I tried to install my Opti USB 1.1 under Windows 95 4.00.950B (osr 2.1), and Windows, after installing usbsupp.exe and wdmusb.exe, detects it correctly. When I try to use an USB Device, Windows detects a new device, but cannot find the drivers, of course. I didn't have the Windows 95 drivers for the Minolta DiMAGE F100 digital camera, so I tried to use the Windows 98 driver given with the camera. The results: the device is installed, Windows have to be restarted. After restarting Windows, there is the Dimage F100 installed, but with an hardware conflict. In the section "properties", it says "Try to change your driver". The driver for Windows 98 cannot be "forced" also on Windows 95? If I use Windows 95C, could I solve the problem? Maybe you're wondering why I want to use Windows 95 instead of Windows 98 or ME: Because, in my opinion, Windows 95 (B or C) has got a very fast interface, and is still good to surf the web, listening to music, use Microsoft Office and play with a lot of dos games... it's like to use a Vintage PC! The only problem is that I cannot use USB... In my opinion, if Microsoft says that this OS supports USB, i don't see any reason why I should not be able to use it!
Wally

Post by Wally »

Your PC will run XP actually
XP requires like 150mhtz
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

I'm running Win95 B OSR2 and it's terrible!
What other OS crashes when your trying to shut it down?!?
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

What??? Windows XP cannot run on a 150 MHz Pentium-based PC!!! I tried to use it on my Pentium-MMX 200 MHz and it was very very slow!!!! I'm trying to "mod" my windows 98 usb drivers and make them able to run well under Windows 95B! Again... Windows 95B is the best system I have evere used, because on my PC it never crashed, and with it I could do a lot of things! Bye!
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

GameMaster.EXE wrote:What other OS crashes when your trying to shut it down?!?
98, XP (Got it twice!)
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

Yes, this is true. Under Windows 98, I found many difficulties to shut down the system. Well, any ideas about using usb under Windows 95?
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

486 player wrote:
GameMaster.EXE wrote:What other OS crashes when your trying to shut it down?!?
98, XP (Got it twice!)
Lord, help us all!

@fabiobol: Microsoft says USB works with Win95, but I don't trust them.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Microsoft are weiners compared to other companys
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

I did some quick research ... found this quote:
USB support is officially provided in OEM SR 2.1 or later of Windows 95. Despite this, good luck trying to get most USB devices to work with Windows 95! Proper support for devices such as USB mice requires a software component only found in Windows 98 or later, meaning you will need to upgrade to use such hardware (even though I can't see any good reason why a patch for USB support in Windows 95 could not be written...)
FWIW, SR2.1 = Windows95B

I tried some other searching & found this page:
http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm
Read that stuff ... too lazy to cut'n'paste stuff here, it seems to be saying you need both USBSUPP.exe and USBUPD2.exe to get it workin ... good luck :) (Also note this part: "NOTE: Installing USBUPD2.exe before installing USBSUPP.exe will cause the system lock and will prevent booting to Safe Mode. A complete reinstall of Windows will be necessary.")

(PS. Find a friend who has Win98 and use that instead :P)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

I have also Windows 98, but I would prefer windows 95 because is faster on my PC.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:Microsoft are weiners compared to other companys
Yes, they are "weiners". That must be why they are the richest, and one of the most successful companies of all time.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

fabiobol wrote:I have also Windows 98, but I would prefer windows 95 because is faster on my PC.
Windows 95 is a dump. That's why I'm it upgrading to Windows 98.