A motherboard for a "new" Pentium II

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

A motherboard for a "new" Pentium II

Post by fabiobol »

I found at home a motherboard based on the SLOT1. It's A MSI MS6163 with chipset Via Apollo Pro 133. I would like to install in this motherboard a Celeron 300A. At her time (about 5 years ago), was a good motherboard, or should I choose another with the Intel Chipset?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

fabiobol no problem if the FSB and the socket is correct.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Those should match up quite nicely in fact as that chipset also supports the COPPERMINE core cpu's ;)
Suck it down!
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

jmmijo wrote:Those should match up quite nicely in fact as that chipset also supports the COPPERMINE core cpu's ;)
Yes, I know that but, unfortunately, i noticed that my MSI W6199 v3.4 has a terrible AGP-section! I tried Vampire, a 3D GAME produced in 1999. I used it with a FYI 82440LX MB and a G200 card, it ran fine. Now, with the Via Apollo 133 and a G450 it runs very, very slow! In your opinion, why?
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

I'm thinking that this is the early 133 chipset, i.e., IIRC, this had some AGP issues with some graphics cards.

Do you have any older 3Dfx cards, say some Voodoo 3/4/5 cards or even some older nVidia cards perhaps.

I wonder if the combo of the Matrox and Via chipset is what's causing this problem.
Suck it down!
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

jmmijo wrote:I'm thinking that this is the early 133 chipset, i.e., IIRC, this had some AGP issues with some graphics cards.

Do you have any older 3Dfx cards, say some Voodoo 3/4/5 cards or even some older nVidia cards perhaps.

I wonder if the combo of the Matrox and Via chipset is what's causing this problem.
I also have a Savage 4, but it's not so good, and a TNT2 M64. In my opinion, i have to sell the Via-motherboard and buy a 440LX-chipset.

Unfortunately, I haven't a 3dFX card, but I'm searching for an used one.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

My suggestion would be to look for a used Intel BX chipset board instead. Most third party boards based on this chipset would do 133 without any problems even though Intel only specced that chipset for 100, it would overclock without any problems ;)

Another option to think about is using a third party DOS VESA driver, like those from SciTechSoft.
Suck it down!
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

Ok, next week I'll buy a Zida 6ALX-motherboard (do you know it??) with i440BX chipset and also USB installed, 256 RAM, PII450, modem56k and a very cheap Genius PCI audio card. All these things for a price of 30€ (i come from Italy), but believe me, it's very cheap. For the Via-based board, I don't know what to do: if I I sold it, I would be very dishonest, because the AGP-section, in my opinion, is very very slow. But maybe it isn't true... I don't know, I have to make more tests. Surely, an I440BX board is more powerful with PII CPU.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

YOu prolly already will have audio built in