ROTT Installation help

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Argon

ROTT Installation help

Post by Argon »

I downloaded the Zip file for ROTT from here and extracted everything. I clicked on the exe named INSTALL and a window that looked like DOS opened up and then closed again right away. What is it that I;m doing wrong that I can't even install this?
Elign

Post by Elign »

I had problems with other Apogee/3-D Realms games installers. I think your computer might be too fast, a lot faster than the computers that existed when the game was brand-new.

If you can, try installing the game on a slower computer, then take the game's folder where the installer installed the game and copy that to your computer. Since ROTT is a 32-bit game, I doubt DOSBox can help you very well (although miracles can happen).
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

ROTT is indeed a bit demanding game to run through dosbox, but you can use dosbox to install it, i doubt if the game runs directly under XP (if that's your OS?), you can always give it a try, or otherwisetry dosbox for the game, but be sure to set the music off. It will depend of your system specs how it will run.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Now I have tested it out on my XP :
Install goes fine through dosbox, unzip it in a folder rot1, go there in dosbox and input install, after a first uncompress you will get a second one by hitting c when asked, then follows a second uncompress (PSFX) in the folder of your choice ( I have choosen ROTT), have patience, there are some big files (WAD) to be processed, it will looks as it hangs, just let it run....
After that go to your gamedir (through dosbox!!) and input sndsetup , to -you gues'd- setup your soundcard, choose for
soundblaster or compatible
port:220
IRQ=7
DMA=1
16-bit DMA=5
8 voices
stereo
16-bit mixing
NO MUSIC

to run the game go to your gamefolder (through dosbox yep) and input ROTT.
On my PC it runs smoothly (to my amazement) at 13 000 cpu cycles frameskip=0.
for fullscreen hit <ALT>+<ENTER>.
If you have problems try first to set your sound to 8-bit mixing / 4 voices, that should relieve a bit your system.
If it still doesn't runs smoothly check what is running on the background and shut EVERYTHING down you don't need.
It will depend of your sysspecs how smoothly the game will run.

If you should have problems , reply with the max details.
(sysspecs /OS /what -if there is - error message.....etc..how more details how better someone will be able to help you out).

Good luck.

[EDIT]
FYI:
Ingame you can set via ->options your game details, I had set everything max.