What is the best video card between these?

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

What is the best video card between these?

Post by fabiobol »

I have at home 4 video cards:
1)S3 ViRGE DX/GX PCI 4 MB (very poor)
2)Matrox Millennium G450 Dual Head 32 MB DDR
3)S3 Savage 4 Pro+ 32 MB
4)Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 32 MB.

What is the best, and more powerful? I have a Pentium 200 MMX, 256 MB Ram, 10 GB HD.
Elign

Post by Elign »

AFAIK, #2 is the best one.

I owned an S3 Savage before, it sucked, and I brought it back to the store for a refund (I paid about $150 for that blasted thing, and the 3D accelerated games played poorly).

The S3 Virge DX/GX was decent for its time, but the video benchmark only had about 17000 (Not that high)

Matrox is fairly awesome. And with DDR RAM, the RAM is going twice as fast as the bus it rides on.

nVidia is fairly cool, but I'm not too keen on just their name alone, as they have released some cheap cards like their GeForce MX series.

So, you can chuck the S3 cards, therefore narrowing your choice between the Matrox and the nVidia.
kreats

Post by kreats »

In terms of 3d performance the TNT2 would have won if it wasn't a vanta. The savage never caught on and you'll probably have driver issues with a few games.

So yeah go the matrox card as it is well supported, has decent 3d + dual head and it rules for image quality also.