Need advice on a CPU for a notebook

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need advice on a CPU for a notebook

Post by emmzee »

So I may be buying a notebook computer (aka "laptop" if you prefer that term) to replace my current PC. The processor in the main one I'm looking at is:

AMD Sempron 2800+

I went to Dell.ca just to compare it with the one Dell offers. One that's pretty close in price is running this processor:

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725A (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB)

After a lot of Googling, as far as I can figure out, an equal clock speed Sempron is definitely slower than a Pentium M ..... ie, Sempron1.6 < PentiumM1.6 ... however, is there any way to tell which of these two is better, given the diff in clock speeds??? I'm guessing there wouldn't be much difference? Is there a site that shows comparisons of these things? (I've already checked Toms Hardware & Sharky Extreme but couldn't find a comparison of these ...)

Thanks ... haven't had to deal with comparing CPUs for about 5 years (especially not mobile CPUs) so I'm kinda lost here :huh:

(Note that I would not be using the laptop for 3D gaming like HL2 or Doom3 or anything, it'd be used for Photoshop, web, light gaming, etc.)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

They seem to be pretty on par with each other, however, if you get a Pentium-M machine, I would go with the whole Centrino works, which is the combo of the CPU, Chipset and Wireless NIC :D

As for my preference in Notebook CPU's at the moment, it would have to be the AMD Turion 64. This is AMD's newest San Diego core CPU for notebooks, with all the bells and whistles including the speedstep like technology ;)

I purchased a Desktop replacement notebook for my dad not long ago, it was a P4-2.8, Prescott Core CPU and a 17" Widescreen LCD display, very nice but of course it eats up the battery time quickly :(
Suck it down!
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

I think the big problem in notebooks isn't so much the processor as the RAM. I got a 2.6 GHz cpu, but it seems really sluggish. I think it is because of a severe lack of RAM: 256MB shared with a 64MB graphics card.

It suits my needs fine (which seem to be very similar to your needs :D ), but it is noticable chunky at times even while doing basic stuff (opening start menu, changing explorer windows)
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

The Sempron 2800+ runs at 2.0GHz and the Pentium M 725A at 1.6GHz. I'd say the difference is indeed small enough, so maybe the Pentium M will beat it, or it will lose by some. The Sempron is still a budget CPU, like the Celeron, although probably a bit better. I'd go for the Pentium M.

However, as was pointed out by Dosser, it's not just the CPU that's gonna make a difference. You should get at least 512MB of RAM, at least a 5400rpm hard disk. Video card is less important, since you won't be gaming much, so you could save some bucks by grabbing a model with integrated video. With 512MB of RAM, the shared video RAM (which you may set lower than 64MB, to like 16MB) will not be so crucial.

However, if it's integrated chipset video, just make sure that it can display 32-bit true-color. I have found out recently that not all of Intel's integrated video controllers can do it. I think you'll find it important for your Photoshop work.

Another thing that is of high importance for Photoshop work and basically any job that requires accurate color representation is the type of the panel used in the LCD. The cheapest one is TN. It sucks. Colors aren't so good, narrow view angles, colors get really distorted at large angles. For you I'd advise to look for a model that uses an IPS panel, as they give you much better colors and 180 view angles with almost no distortions. They tend to cost a bit more, but I think it's worth the price (I have two laptops, one with TN, one with IPS, so I can compare).
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Thanks everyone for your excellent advice! I have some more research to do still but at least many of the issues are now clearer. I was planning to get at least 512megs of RAM anyways, so that isn't a concern. (Dell seems to be offering free RAM upgrades ATM so many of theirs come with 1gig) I'll definitely have to check out the screens, one of the reasons I may be buying a laptop now is that my current huge-ass CRT monitor is starting to pack it in (starting to get blurry, have to have the brightness/contrast settings to 100% and its still dark, etc.)

Anywho, thanks for all of the great replies! :)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament