Can't get dos games to detect ISA AWE64

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
kreats

Post by kreats »

I think you should run CTCM.exe and see how you go - it should hopefully autoconfigure around the onboard sound. If you don't get it working I remember the awe32 not sounding all that good with duke3d anyway (personally I thought the guitar sounded a bit 'funny'), so not a huge loss if that is what you are primarily using it for.

RE: multiconfigs

I've got 4 configs in a menu in my startup - two of them go to http://surf.to/AccessDosMenu (a nice graphical menu app). One for demos and another for games (I leave off cdrom and emm386 in the demos config).

One is a minimal config with nothing loaded, and the remaining one loads cdrom, 4dos and sets up a few aliases. It's good to have a bit of flexibility in your startup I feel - as a lot of games/demos don't like having certain things loaded.

RE: Win98

Actually I've recently found one good reason why win98 is handy.. I was trying to get the 3dfx versions of blood & shadow warrior going (these only work on the original 3dfx) and it requires windows to be running (they want to load a glide dll).

Dual booting is a pain however - haven't been able to bring myself to do it (I hear 3dfx blood isn't all that great anyway) - but I suppose I might one day.