Windows XP install

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Elign

Windows XP install

Post by Elign »

I installed Windows XP on a Pentium 200 MMX with 64 MB RAM, I was amazed when it ran at a half-decent speed.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Question is how many apps will you be able to install and how many will you be able to run simultaneously before it chokes and dies.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

use something like XPLite to remove a lot of the crap, and also something like Blackviper's guide to turning off services to speed up xp.
Elign

Post by Elign »

Thanks Oz.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I WOULD LIKE TO TRY, TOO!

Post by fabiobol »

I really love old computers, like Pentium and Pentium MMX. So, I'm going to buy (used, of course) a Socket7-mainboard with the AT connector, with a Pentium-MMX 200 MHz. I would be very interested in putting on this PC Windows XP Professional, with Service Pack 1 (I haven't the 2 version, yet) and use it as a "recorder" for my musical-group. On this PC, we will use some music programs for mixing and recording music. But first of all, I would like to know: if the mainboard didn't support SDRAM and I wanted to use 128 MB of RAM, could I find them on SIMM? In your opinion, could I install something like 256 MB, if the mainboard supports SDRAM? About 2 years ago, we installed Windows XP Pro on a very old machine, like an AMD K6 166 MHz (clocked at 200), with 128 MB of ram and 2,5 GB on HD. It ran very, very well! We had also a very old PCI Video Card, an S3 VIRGE DX/GX 4 MB. Do you know if there are some mainboard for Pentium that support AGP cards? Thank you!
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Yeah, well there are loads of mainboards for Super Socket7 (for K6, K6-2, K6-3 CPUs) with AGP slots, and you can install Pentiums in them as well. Just look for K6 boards, chances are you'll find something.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks, but...

Post by fabiobol »

Thanks for your answer, but my problem is a bit strange: my old Pentium-case is a MINI-TOWER with an AT connector, so I have to find a BABY-mainboard (i mean that I need a kind of motherboard that is smaller than the usual motherboards). I was wondering if I could find, for example, a motherboard with socket 7, Baby format, with AGP slot, and the DIMM support. But, if i couldn't find a motherboard with an AGP slot, I would be interested to buy an used 3D accelerated video card on a PCI slot. Can I find anything like this? For example, a Matrox G-200 for PCI slot, or an ATI Charger Rage II.... ?
Thank you for your answer.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Evidently, there ARE some Baby-AT Socket7 motherboards with AGP and DIMMs. Check out this page:
http://www.baber.com/motherboards/baby_at_ff.htm

The question here is their availability.

As for 3D-accelerated cards on PCI slots, you can get the Voodoo 3000. I am pretty pleased with its AGP version, which I have on my K6, I assume that the PCI version will have similar features. Again, the question is the availability.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

ANOTHER PROBLEM: THE CACHE and the VOLTAGE

Post by fabiobol »

Thanks for the answer, but I still have some problems. I read that a Pentium (non-MMX) requires 3.3V, while the Pentium-MMX CPU requires something like 2.8V. Could I risk to burn the MMX if I ran the PC without setting the voltage? And, after that, what about the cache? Is it integrated in the Pentium MMX or shall i buy an "on-board" cache? I read that the Pentium-MMX has 512KB of L-2 Cache. I also read on the Internet that Intel didn't produce any Pentium-200MMX CPU with a ceramic package (it's available only on plastic package). Is it true? However, if you go to www.cpu-world.com, they show that there is a ceramic one, too! How can you explain that?
Thanks a lot
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

The only advice I can give you is make sure that the motherboard supports the particular CPU you have (model, speed, cache) and that any jumpers are set properly before you boot up.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

XP!dammitn i have 166MMX,128 Mb RAM,and i screwed with admin password,and i couldn't login to my account,so i got back to 98SE.I say darnit.
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Why do people always screw up with their passwords? I mean, 99% of the time, on a home PC, you don't need a password. And if you do insist on putting one, how the hell do you manage to forget it?
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

I've got, like, 12 different passwords, and none are for my personal home computer. I had one on my old one 2 weeks ago. Screwing is not always forgetting. He could have made a double typo when installing the password. Or delete some important password files.
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

no,you don't understan,firstly i've installed it and i've set teh password for m<y account,but it somehow screwed up,so i had to install it but teh 2nd time it didn't ask me for a new password,and when i started Xp,theres was my account but teh password wasn't the same.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I don't know much about passwords, but...

Post by fabiobol »

I can't say much about passwords, because I never used them, but with a Pentium-MMX 166 MHz, Windows XP should run quite well... believe me, I tried and it worked!
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

i know,but the password is shitting me.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Get tweakui or an equivalent freeware prog and get rid of those startup passwords.Tweakui is free on the microsoft site.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

did i mention i have 98SE again?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Well tweakui also has also W98SE version, but on W98 i prefer Winconfig:
http://freeware.prv.pl/
More tweakings with that one...............
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

yeah,but i don't know how to install it,can't find the .exe file