Dungeon Keeper Gold

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
emf20

Dungeon Keeper Gold

Post by emf20 »

Hey everyone.

I have Dungeon Keeper Gold, I'm running Windows 98 and I am having really big problems with this game, I start it up and the movie scene plays but when I skip that or even let it play through the menu is frozen, Either that or it's really lagging badly and I really want to play this game but this is holding me back.

I have the downloaded one and the official cd which I bought ages ago and both versions are giving me the same problem so i'm guessing I need a patch or something??

Please help :(
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

If you're looking for patches:
The patches scrolls:
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/pat.cgi?lang=eng ... s=pc&cap=d
:)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
emf20

Post by emf20 »

Thats the thing, I don't know if i'm looking for a patch or what, I just know that the menu lags so bad and I can't even start the game :(

I wouldn't know what patch I need either?
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

I'm guessing you need both. However, those patches may not be enough. DOSbox may fix your problems - check the FAQs on this forum for it. The D-Fend program would help you out a lot, too - it's a frontend for dosbox that makes it more user-friendly. Just remember to crank the CPU cycles to make the game run faster.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
emf20

Post by emf20 »

Thanks, I can see i'll need to read up alot to make this work lol
emf20

Post by emf20 »

Ok so if I install the two patches and the DOSbox, It should work fine?

I'm already on Windows98 though so do I need DOSbox and how do I crank up the CPU cycles.

I'm not really a newbie to pc's and stuff I just don't know about these certain few things unfortunately :(
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Hopefully. I believe that CTRL-f12, or just straight f12, will increase your cpucycles. Type "Help" in the DB prompt to get the commands.

emf20

Post by emf20 »

I tried and I have the game working for 1min, But then it goes an offer color like the rainbow and you can barely see what is going on in the game so you have to exit (If you can find out how).

I'm not sure about this DOSbox, I open the game and it comes up like widescreen and really bad looking with lots of squares and stuff.

Anymore ideas?.... Sorry to be a pain in the butt but this game is amazing and I really want to play it again.
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

You'll have to hit Alt+Enter, which will make the game fullscreen.

Post by Guest »

That is what happens about 2mins after starting to play it, I don't understand, Do I run the game through DOSbox or do I leave it open when I want to play DK?

Also how much should I crank it up if thats what I need to do?
emf20

Post by emf20 »

Also when I try the 3D version it says "A required file, WSND7R.DLL, was not found".

:(
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Anonymous wrote:Also how much should I crank it up if thats what I need to do?
In w98 use your system monitor, cranck the cpu cycles up to near 100% of your cpu time is used ,the amount of those cycles enterely depends of your sysspecs AND the amount of crap your running on the background.
The basic rule is here :
How less crap on the background = how more dosbox performance.

Your question:
" I don't understand, Do I run the game through DOSbox or do I leave it open when I want to play DK? "
Now that is one i don't understand ,sorry.
:)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
emf20

Post by emf20 »

I mean you open dosbox and leave it running in the background while you play the game or do you just open it, do what you need to do and then close it then start the game?
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

You run the game THROUGH Dosbox, using the command prompt to mount your hard drive, find the file, and run it. It's covered in the two topics here, by typing "Help" in dosbox, and I'm sure on many websites. The D-Fend frontend can help you out here, too.

Post by Guest »

Ok so now I have it working because I installed Dungeon Keeper 1 and then the Dungeon Keeper Deeper Dungeons seperate disks as i've had them for years, Anyway, All I have now is the problem with the colored screen about 5mins into the game so could I do anything for that alone?

The graphics are better now and it looks so much better (Weird huh), This is now the only problem I have with the game :(
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You can try to change the way dosbox handle the graphics, open dosbox.conf and set a 'CGA" machine :
[dosbox]
# language -- Select another language file.
# memsize -- Amount of memory dosbox has in megabytes.
# machine -- The type of machine tries to emulate:hercules,cga,tandy,vga.
# captures -- Directory where things like wave,midi,screenshot get captured.

language=
machine=vga
captures=d:\capture
memsize=32

Alter the "vga" to cga"
But in all honesty i never seen very much change in it..... :blah:
If you have a compability prob with your vid-card , now then *bump*.
lorigar

cheats

Post by lorigar »

I need cheats will sombody help me
franpa
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by franpa »

considering that the enemy dungeon keeper AI is incredibly poor in the dos version... try the windows version... it comes with the game. (apply AI patch if not gold version witch you already have) AI patch only affects the windows version.
Intel Core2 DUO e6750 @ 2.66GHZ
Asus P5KC Mother Board
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
2 Gigabytes DDR2 800 RAM Dual Channel
500 Gigabytes SATA2 Hard Disk
Creative X-FI Extreme Music
BFG Geforce 8800gt 512mb PCI-E (OC1)
Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply
Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case.

Click here to download 'Milo The Fuel Run'. [More Information.]
yoda

Post by yoda »

where can we found the missing wsn7dr.dll ? i've found some sites but they want money for it

Post by Guest »

i need that file too for the editor mode too but i cant find it as well

but anyway DK doesn't run at all for me :( it just comes up and i get to see the picture before the movies begins, however, as soon as the pic goes the games just doesn't respond and disappers... please can some1 help any help will be appreciated