SB 16 WavEffects CT4171 No Music...

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
MikE

SB 16 WavEffects CT4171 No Music...

Post by MikE »

Hello fellow dos peoples. I too am a dos freak. A Space Quest freak to be more precise. I have been building my own ultimate SQ PC, but I am having a hell of a time trying to get the card configured. I bought the card sealed, in original box with original CD, so the cd should work, but it doesn't I can't get it to install the drivers in dos, so I have done so manually by copying and pasting the files to the hard drive and referring to them approriately in autoexec.bat. When running diagnose.exe, the 8 bit test works, the 16 bit test works, and the synthesized music test does NOT work. Therefore, I oly have audio and noise in my dos games but no music at all. I have tried everything imaginable. it's just plain idiotic the way creative set up thos stupid drivers. I have download the newest dos drivers for the device from creative.com and the same result happens. No music. Could somebody please be so kind as to help me out here? I've been working on this problem constently for 2 months, but to no avail!

Thanks in advance, and peace,

MikE
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Didn't 'Sound Blaster/Sound blaster Compatible's help?
Try AdLib instead.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!

Post by Guest »

I've tried everything. The problem has nothing to do with the SQ installations. Even when running diagnose.exe I cannot get any synthesized music. My card actualy says ct4520 on it, but all over the interenet the 16 waveffects is known as the ct4171, why? When looking at a picture of the sbawe64 I notice that my card looks just like a butchered version of it, with components missing on the upper left corner, and a completely different chipset. The manual which came with my card explains to me how to set jumpers that don't even exist on my card. What a half-assed job by creative! All I wanted was a good old card for a good old computer, what I got was a hopeless freak of nature. Is there anyone out there who has this precise card - The Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects (according to box) Model # CT4171 (According to manual and internet), but really the model # CT4520 (butchered version, according to discovered picture and writing on the left upper corner of the card, with not an awe chipset OR a vibra 16 chipset, but instead a "Creative CTL 1996 CT8920-NBQ 9808EK009" chipset and HAS IT WORKING WITH THE SYNTHESIZED MUSIC??? If so, then please help if you can. There are many ways to get confused as to this card because every forum I've been to for help has mixed up my card with at least 2 others, because creative did this all weird.

MikE
Roger
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Roger »

Look, I had the same problems with an Ensoniq card (CT4xxx - someting), when mounting it on a NEW motherboard (for P4). It has something to do with the way the IRQs are allocated by BIOS. I finally gave up, and used it on an older computer (P1 motherboard), and everything worked fine, except for the low quality midi. So I switch it with a Creative SB AWE64 Gold ISA, which is, in my opinion, the ultimate sound card for DOS-based applications.
The ideea is that when trying to build a computer for DOS, you should go for old, second-hand components, that were used at the times when DOS was a dominant O.S.
"in the beginning, Earth was without form and void..."
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

What does CTCM.EXE say when you run it?